What is an EU citizen? - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

What is an EU citizen?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:18 AM

Default What is an EU citizen?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...eme/ar-AArStrl

So every other EU country that wants shot of their middle eastern and African immigrants will be granting them EU citizenship on the condition they then apply for UK citizenship. Not very well thought out I think.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by richmc View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...eme/ar-AArStrl

So every other EU country that wants shot of their middle eastern and African immigrants will be granting them EU citizenship on the condition they then apply for UK citizenship. Not very well thought out I think.
Most things the Governments do are not very well thought out, irrelevant of who's in charge
Old 06-22-2018, 04:07 AM

if they grant these people EU citizenship the UK bit is irrelevant surely? they are where they want to be.

and don't you need to be living here already anyway for this to be applicable?
Old 06-23-2018, 04:10 AM

I reckon the reason for this is to steady the boat somewhat in the labour market.
There are companies already finding shortfalls in labour with EU nationals due to the uncertainty.
The issues with immigration have then been highlighted by the whole Windrush thing (whole process from temporary, residency to permanent can take around £10k)
EU nationals will be worried about getting shipped out once Brexit happens so are either leaving or not coming

I know my wife and myself are already talking about how to make her security rock solid (does she need to apply for British citizenship) or keep my options open (me getting Romanian citizenship).

You do have to prove residency by the way with this system such as tax returns or a similar official documentation. Whilst they are stating the default position will be to grant residency they are also sating facebook posts will not be a valid form of evidence