What are your thoughts ? - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Notices
Off Topic and General Discussion Off topic forum - Serious discussion, Current Affairs, News, Help & Advice

What are your thoughts ?

Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 AM
UK Moderator

Default What are your thoughts ?

Question : i read a story on the internet & it got me thinking. if you have kid(s) who are on a well paid job living with you, do you think it's fair for the kids to pay a contribution towards the bills or as they're your kids, they should be able to live with you totally free of charge, especially if you're not well off yourself ?

Interested to hear people's comments .

For clarification : This is not me, as I have no kids, and I own my own home.

Thanks
Bharat

Last edited by BSM139; 04-30-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:50 AM

One of my sons who is 30 moved in with me for the last year. I did not ask him to
pay for anything since I didn't really need his money and would rather that he
saved it.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by BSM139 View Post
Question : i read a story on the internet & it got me thinking. if you have kid(s) who are on a well paid job living with you, do you think it's fair for the kids to pay a contribution towards the bills or as they're your kids, they should be able to live with you totally free of charge, especially if you're not well off yourself ?

Interested to hear people's comments .

Thanks
Bharat
If they are saving (say for a deposit on a house) or it's an emergency (like a breakup) and it's for a fixed period, charge them nothing

Otherwise you are just subsidising their lifestyle, in which case charge them a proper rent or you'll never get rid of them

*** mothers will probably disagree with the above
Old 04-29-2018, 12:56 PM

A lot of variables imo

If you don't need the cash
If they need to learn to save (this gen astound me and I had feck all savings at 30)
If they can afford it
If they need to save a deposit

I would charge and bank the cash for them personally, give it them back when they left
Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2 View Post
A lot of variables imo

If they need to learn to save (this gen astound me and I had feck all savings at 30)
If they can afford it

I would charge and bank the cash for them personally, give it them back when they left
THIS!, but with reasonable expenses explained. After all no one goes through life expecting someone else to feed them, provide them with electricity etc., if you don't charge them they will never learn. My sister in law houses and feeds one of her sons free of charge, pays his car insurance tax etc. she even pays his mobile phone bills. OK you might think well done her, but she is a teaching assistant on £22k and he is in IT on £40k. The only lesion he is learning is to be a greedy sh1t. More fool her!
Old 05-09-2018, 01:50 AM

A lot of variables imo

If they can afford it

:igaree:

My brother in law lived at home with his parents until he was 30. He was supposed to pay a small amount of board but his mother never chased it so he rarely paid it. He therefore lived the life of Riley with an OK income but no significant costs. He spent everything he earnt on himself and didn't save anything.

Consequently, he never learnt to budget, never learnt to save, and had lifestyle expectations well above what he should have been able to afford. When he eventually moved out (with deposit assistance from his parents) it was a much bigger shock to him than it should have been because all of a sudden he was paying a mortgage and bills which sucked up a large chunk of what had previously been disposable income.

He's subsequently had to be bailed out twice after getting into a financial mess which for some reason seems to have been funded by the bank of brother in law....
Old 05-09-2018, 02:05 AM

Our eldest (24) moved back in with us after uni when he got a job close to home.

He is saving for his own place and whilst we didn't ask for any 'rent' he offered to pay.

We agreed £100/month, which probably just about covers his share of the food shopping.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:26 AM

I sense the young feel defeated before they start with the current housing market, they are being priced out of areas of employment

​​​​​​I don't know whether it's poor maths tutoring in schools or something else but one of the guys I work with who is 10 years younger than me rents a house, rents a car and spends every penny he gets despite a decent wage. At his age I had a pittance left on my mortgage and had paid cash for an S2000 a few years ago.. ok more than a few .. I doubt I was earning a great deal more with inflation factored in. Possibly less.

So financial decadence coupled with increased demands makes for a perfect storm?

Maybe I should start charging my son rent? He's 6 but can you start too young?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM

I sense the young feel defeated before they start with the current housing market, they are being priced out of areas of employment

​​​​​​I don't know whether it's poor maths tutoring in schools or something else but one of the guys I work with who is 10 years younger than me rents a house, rents a car and spends every penny he gets despite a decent wage. At his age I had a pittance left on my mortgage and had paid cash for an S2000 a few years ago.. ok more than a few .. I doubt I was earning a great deal more with inflation factored in. Possibly less.

So financial decadence coupled with increased demands makes for a perfect storm?

Maybe I should start charging my son rent? He's 6 but can you start too young?
they may feel defeated but that's just their perception

there is plenty of affordable property near to centres of employment

provided of course said ftb snowflakes don't expect to live in:

Wimbledon, Hove, Islington or Alderley Edge

what exactly is so wrong/hard about a studio or one bed flat in a normal area for circa £100K-£150K as your first property?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 AM

The PTB did try to instill defeatism into our generation as well, TBF. But some of us had a vague concept of the 'inflation trick' and so it didn't work on all of us.

With the vapidity and ubiquity of the modern media and its tripe-peddling, it's far more pervasive and probably thus persuasive, these days.

But the over-expectation of people generally is hard to deny.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts ?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands