Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

4K HDR Blu-ray Player

Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4K HDR Blu-ray Player

Happy to say I just ordered my UDP-203. They sold out in less than an hour. I have been using my Sony Playstation 3 as my default Blu-ray player for years but this new OPPO was just too good to pass up.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/#top
Old 12-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Gatsbee13

hope you got a pretty good deal on it.

was about to pickup a Black Friday Samsung 4k tv this year but decided to wait until next black friday,.. I wanted to see how many TV networks would be broadcasting in 4k.. especially the sports channels, which I don't believe any broadcast in 4k.

for now its still 1080p for me. although the 4k and 5k monitors for cpu's look tempting..
Old 12-17-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I love my Oppo player. . . and they're local to me, so keeping that money in the area.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 PM

I have been buying 4K blu-rays for awhile waiting for this Oppo player, have about 10 now. There is no deal on them, and probably never will be. Far as I now they only sell factory direct.

Directv will have some 4k channels sometime in January but you have to get a new 4k box from them, the upgrade is free if you have one of their protection plans.

One thing to watch for on a 4k TV is make sure it HDR 10 or Dolby Vision even better. HDR is as important as 4k if not more so.

HDR10 vs. Dolby Vision: The new TV format war
Old 12-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

So what is the benefit of buying a stand alone player over something like the Xbox One S which is also a 4k blu ray player?
Old 12-23-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
So what is the benefit of buying a stand alone player over something like the Xbox One S which is also a 4k blu ray player?
for the average joe there is no difference. It is all about quality and the subtle differences that an audiophile would notice. Why do people by Volks when Enkeis will do?

If you have a $8K TV and a $3K receiver and $10K worth of speakers you would be buying the best blu-ray player you can find.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Specifically (and especially on the Oppo), it's a selection of better components for both the digital and analog signals, as well as a better board layout and a different Digital to Analog chip and algorithm. Also, the thing is built like a tank, and with a better power cable, can reduce a lot of noise. Despite almost everything being Digital (and thus having error correction everywhere), keeping things tidy in the bitstream does result in better picture and sound (the black art being that the error correction doesn't have to kick in as often, IMHO).

. . . this post needs an icon for blathering and nerdiness (and nerd bait on top of the nerdiness).
Old 01-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
. . . this post needs an icon for blathering and nerdiness (and nerd bait on top of the nerdiness).
Old 01-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Specifically (and especially on the Oppo), it's a selection of better components for both the digital and analog signals, as well as a better board layout and a different Digital to Analog chip and algorithm. Also, the thing is built like a tank, and with a better power cable, can reduce a lot of noise. Despite almost everything being Digital (and thus having error correction everywhere), keeping things tidy in the bitstream does result in better picture and sound (the black art being that the error correction doesn't have to kick in as often, IMHO).

Interesting. Thanks for answering my question and giving some reasons why this is a better choice. I am maybe a year or so away from a upgrading my home theatre which is why I was curious.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Because... It shootzss laaazerss...