S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Off-topic Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/off-topic-talk-3/)
-   -   Anyone own/use a Bowflex? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/off-topic-talk-3/anyone-own-use-bowflex-100076/)

ninegrand 01-14-2003 08:18 PM

Anyone own/use a Bowflex?

I'm thinking about ordering one (not 100% sure on the model yet) and wondered if it's as effective as advertised..?

Thanks for any help.:)

Incubus 01-15-2003 07:30 AM

Be ready to fork out some serious dough.

But no, I haven't used one.

Morris 01-15-2003 08:52 AM

I'll bet you could find a slightly used one around, maybe EBAY or local ads? Maybe in a few months, after the new years resolution has worn off and the owner is tired of looking at it.
How much are those things new, anyway?

LT'S S2K 01-15-2003 11:03 AM

I guess I'm the expert in this field since this is part of what I do for living (Personal Trainer and dietitian).

I actually went to school w/ the guy who sells these, Tom, and NO I can't get a discount.

He is probably one of the smartest guys that I've met. In fact, he was actually teaching exercise physiology course for a physical therapy class, and the professor was only 1/2 as smart as he was.

Tom, the owner/maker of Bowflex is also current/if not former president of one of the national strength and conditioing association. He is known as The Trainer to the trainers.

Bowflex, doesn't matter which model, is a very great machine. If I had the money, I would get one. It's safe for beginners and great for active gym goer.

My question to you, as any trainer would ask is "What is your goal? increase strength, increase size, toning, fat loss???

Feel free to PM me if you like.

If you have never tried it before, it's just like cable workouts but little smoother w/ different sticking points. Full range of motion is good for rehab and strengthening.

If you haven't tried it, you can go to Sears and try out the Crossbow by Weider. Very similar in motion and half the price at $500 new.

Hope this helps.

LT

lig 01-15-2003 11:29 AM

I picked one up used for about $400 bucks. I still don't look like the guys in the commercials :p but it's pretty good.

Doesn't get a lot of use now that we go to a real gym (the wife doesn't like to work out at home...) and I'm using free weights now.

Very nice for those days when you just don't feel like going to the gym. Much better than the Soloflex.

wantone 01-15-2003 11:36 AM

I remember back in the day when this company was called Soloflex, they also sold these flex machines... Got one but found the gym more useful :rolleyes:

ninegrand 01-15-2003 11:44 AM

LT'S, good info. I'm just trying to add some size (ha) and strength. The gym isn't a feasible option for me to due to time and location location, and thought this would be a better alternative to my crappy weight set I am currently using.

The price for the model I am looking at is about $1100 plus shipping(ouch) but I'll have to check out the sears version if it's similar and half the cost.

Ubetit 01-15-2003 01:15 PM

I don't have a fancy degree in excercise physiology but you really don't need a degree to understand 3 simple things.

1. Do rigorous strength training. I recommend MAX-OT from AST Sports Science
2. Hit cardio hard for 20 minutes 3-5 times a week.
3. Watch what you put in your pie hole. (The most important one)

Those guys in the commercials didn't get like that by using Bowflex.

NYMATT74 01-15-2003 02:07 PM

Bowflex is GREAT. IT really works! I got it last May and looked like a Champion over the summer. It definately got my body toned and I lost about 10 or 15 pounds. I would of lost more but I dont watch my diet. Around September I got lazy and stopped using it....I just tried the other day and was lucky to bench half the weight I was doing at my peak.

IF your gonna use it..its worth the money. You dont have to go to the gym and you will have it forever.

Matt

DeeGYM 01-15-2003 10:42 PM

I think it will work if you put time into it. My bro has one and I tried it, but it just wasn't my style.

I have to workout in a gym because of the hotties there. It gives you motivation.