Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Can we ban the G** Da** Cell phones already!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can we ban the G** Da** Cell phones already!

A good friend of mine was coming back from, of all things, the funeral of his brother-in-law. He was on his Kawasaki dresser, and a 19 year old girl, who was from out of town, lost, and ON THE PHONE, turned right in front of him on a four lane hiway.

Needless to say, he had no warning and no chance. Can we finally pass a law to ban cell phone usage in cars? I cannot count the number of times in the last 30 days that I have seen a young driver holding a phone up to their ear, and they are going too fast, too slow, both, and weaving all over the road. Now my good friend, who leaves 3 kids, two still minors, behind, with no mother in the picture, has paid the price.

Please, if you cannot afford a hands-free set, you cannot afford a cell phone in your car. I am so tempted to purchase a jammer right now I can't stand it.

My temporary solution

Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Sorry to hear that man. Here in Cali it is illegal now unless you have Bluetooth. I keep tons of pennies in the center changeholder for these people. Quick squirt of the throttle, get in front, and let it rain on these dumbasses.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM

im 100% with you.

im sorry for your loss.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by wizard8100,Aug 25 2008, 10:20 AM
A good friend of mine was coming back from, of all things, the funeral of his brother-in-law. He was on his Kawasaki dresser, and a 19 year old girl, who was from out of town, lost, and ON THE PHONE, turned right in front of him on a four lane hiway.

Needless to say, he had no warning and no chance. Can we finally pass a law to ban cell phone usage in cars? I cannot count the number of times in the last 30 days that I have seen a young driver holding a phone up to their ear, and they are going too fast, too slow, both, and weaving all over the road. Now my good friend, who leaves 3 kids, two still minors, behind, with no mother in the picture, has paid the price.

Please, if you cannot afford a hands-free set, you cannot afford a cell phone in your car. I am so tempted to purchase a jammer right now I can't stand it.

My temporary solution

That's very unfortunate to hear. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm even more sorry for his kids that will now grow up without either of their parents in the picture.

Looks like a portable cell phone jammer can be had with a car adapter for about $244. Can't argue with your logic, people are terrible on cell phones when it comes to observing their environment and operating vehicles.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:40 AM

im sorry for ur lost...people drive so much worst when on the phone, but i thought the use of cell phones are prohibited? i guess its certain states
Old 08-25-2008, 08:42 AM

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, my good friend was also killed on a bike about 7 years ago. Unfortunatly, even hands-free kits will leave drivers distracted and still breaking the law. NY has had a hands-free law for years and that doesn't stop anyone from holding the phone to their ear, they just move it away when they see a cop.

On a side note - I see it very irresponsible for a father of young children to ride a motorcycle. Please don't tell me that the B-I-L was killed on a bike as well
Old 08-25-2008, 08:55 AM

Here in S. FloriDUH, I see significantly MORE people driving with a phone at their ear than those with eyes ahead and hands on the wheel.

Even in tony Boca Raton, where it's illegal to use any non-handsfree phone while driving, people do it constantly.

How important are these people? They have to talk on the phone at ALL times? "Hi, Bob, it's Steve. Hey, look, I just wanted you to know that I'm driving right now..."

If someone calls me while driving, I ask them to call back at a safer time. No exceptions.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by skibum,Aug 25 2008, 10:42 AM
On a side note - I see it very irresponsible for a father of young children to ride a motorcycle. Please don't tell me that the B-I-L was killed on a bike as well
I wasn't going to mention it but that was a thought that popped in to my head as well.

A woman who works for my dad called him a week ago today and said she wouldn't be in to work for a while as her husband was killed on his motorcycle up north of Toronto. I believe they have a couple children as well. Unfortunate stuff.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 AM

damn, sorry to hear.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

My God I am so sorry for your loss.

This is one of my biggest road rage items I encounter while driving. Anytime I see a driver meandering out of their lane, going slow, cutting people off without warning...in general, just being a shit driver, 9/10 these ****s are on the cell phone or worse....****ing texting!!

In NY they did pass a law a year or so ago banning cell phones while driving (hands-free not included..but even the hands free jackasses cannot drive well either) but people still talk...in fact, its epidemic. There really needs to a be a total ban. You are not that important to be fielding calls while driving. If you were, you would be chauffer driven, and more than likely being lead to your G5.

Quick Reply: Can we ban the G** Da** Cell phones already!