Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

lcd tv picture goes black, but audio is fine

Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lcd tv picture goes black, but audio is fine

Does anyone else have this problem, or heard of it before? My friend just got a 32" LCD HDTV by Phillips, and we were watching it for the first time after setting it up. We were testing it out and watching a DVD, and about 15 minutes later, the picture just goes black, but you can still hear the audio. The power light stays on too. The TV does not say "No signal" (which it does if nothing is hooked up to it), and the audio is still there, so it apparently is getting a signal, but for some reason the screen turns off?

So, we decided to turn off the TV, then turned it back on, and it was fine. Then, maybe about 15 minutes later, the same thing happens. I had to get going shortly thereafter, but my friend says she watched it later in the day and the problem became more frequent.

I did some googling, and it appears this has happened to other people, but I couldn't find the reason why or a solution. Is this a known issue with LCD tvs? Any idea what is the problem? Or did my friend get a defective TV? Any help or insight is appreciated!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 AM

i am no tv expert but it sounds like a defective tv to me...ive had my lcd for over a year now and no such issues...knock on wood...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely sounds like an electronics problem - time to return it.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 AM

At this point, we don't know if the problem is with the source (DVD player) or the display. How do you have this hooked up (HDMI, Component, Composite, etc.) and do other sources exhibit the same problem? If other sources yeild the same result, then it is definitely the TV. It is not common with LCD technology, so I would return the set if the problem is not specific to the source. As a side note, have your friend check out the 32" Westinghouse 32w6 model if he chooses to return the Phillips. They have a plethora of inputs and give a great picture for a great price. Good luck
Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Let me guess.. Phillips 7320A? I had the same TV. It would go black while watching a DVD connected to a component input and the picture would come back on again after several seconds. It's a common problem with this specific model. I returned mine and haven't looked back since.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:30 PM

This is NOT an issue specific to LCD or any other kind of television.

This is a P.O.S. Philips product that needs to be returned immediately. If you want another LCD, get either a Sharp or a Sony. They have long since made the best LCD's on the market. Sharp also makes the biggest, at 65"!! ($20,000)
Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 PM

Did you get it at Costco? If you did, from the last time I've heard - I think you can return it to them no matter how long ago you bought it from them. Call to double check.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by kugg,Jun 6 2006, 07:26 PM
Did you get it at Costco? If you did, from the last time I've heard - I think you can return it to them no matter how long ago you bought it from them. Call to double check.
costco is the shiznit, they will take pretty much anything back any time no questions.

your problem does sound like it is the tv. hook the dvd player up using a different input if you have the cable to do so. for instance if it is using hdmi, hook up the components, or the s video instead and see if it does the same. if it doesn't it aint the dvd player.

in any event as said before get a sharp sony or jvc. i have actually had all three and never had a single problem with any of them. but i still haven't found the perfect lcd tv yet, i don't think they have made it for me yet.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
WPS

does anyone know if sam's club has the same return policy?
my samsung plasma just over a year old developed green lines on the right side. argh!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Former Moderator

Sounds like a defective overload on the tv itself if it takes 15 minutes or so to heat up and then it shuts off the video.