Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Run VIN to trace title?

Old 11-24-2017, 06:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Run VIN to trace title?

On behalf of my brother-in-law, I am involved in a tug of war between the state bureaucracies of Kansas and Michigan. The issue is that the four of us can't tell if the title for his car (that he owns) is in Kansas or in Michigan. Each state keeps referring us to the other.

Can someone run the VIN to at least tell if the title was transferred to Michigan, as Kansas insists? I'd also like to know if there's still a lien on the title and, if possible, who owns the title -- but I'd be happy with just the state.

VIN is 1B3HB48B68D650113, 2008 Dodge Caliber. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me along here.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:51 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Where is the car registered? Can't register a car titled in Kansas in any other state I'm aware of including Michigan.

-- Chuck
Old 11-24-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Where is the car registered? Can't register a car titled in Kansas in any other state I'm aware of including Michigan.

-- Chuck
I agree with you, which makes this case even more frustrating: it has a Michigan plate, Kansas says they sent the title to Michigan's Secretary of State, but Michigan says they know nothing about it. The registration is in my brother-in-law's name but the State of Michigan says there's no Michigan title in his name.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 AM

Check the registration as the car is sure to have a Michigan title if it has MI tags. The title number shows on my Virginia registration and did on my Ohio. I suspect this is universal.

-- Chuck
Old 11-26-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 1,106 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by laurensdejong
On behalf of my brother-in-law, I am involved in a tug of war between the state bureaucracies of Kansas and Michigan. The issue is that the four of us can't tell if the title for his car (that he owns) is in Kansas or in Michigan. Each state keeps referring us to the other.

Can someone run the VIN to at least tell if the title was transferred to Michigan, as Kansas insists? I'd also like to know if there's still a lien on the title and, if possible, who owns the title -- but I'd be happy with just the state.

VIN is 1B3HB48B68D650113, 2008 Dodge Caliber. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me along here.
Buy a CARFAX membership yourself, and run the numbers.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
Buy a CARFAX membership yourself, and run the numbers.
While I agree that that is a good idea, this sounds like some BS that a Carfax won't entirely cover; the Carfax will post once it's officially in one state or the other. However, sounds like it might be in both states.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
While I agree that that is a good idea, this sounds like some BS that a Carfax won't entirely cover; the Carfax will post once it's officially in one state or the other. However, sounds like it might be in both states.
You're right, that's why I didn't want to spend the money first and then find out it doesn't tell me everything. Carfax has let me down before.

Anyway, for those of you who are into this kind of thing: it turns out that Michigan issued a "memorandum title" which is not a real title, but a one-time document that will let you get plates and registration in Michigan "when a vehicle is titled in a another state." I didn't know such things existed.

Kansas still says they don't know anything about a title, but at least Michigan has a plausible story why they don't have a title, so it's back to Kansas I go. Who says bureaucracies aren't fun??!
Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM

There is, of course, a Michigan title. The lien holder (bank, etc.) has the title. Lien holder is listed on the memorandum title which you should have and can certainly get.. You can't sell the car until you pay off the lien and get a real title. EVERY state has these, it's not unique to Michigan.

I'm still surprised your "brother-in-law" is incapable of doing this or determining what has to be done.

-- Chuck
Old 12-13-2017, 06:30 AM

Chuck, you know what you're talking about and you've been very helpful, thanks.

I'm still trying to completely understand this. I have the memo title here and there is no lien information on it, but a reference that this is a memo title for a Kansas title. Michigan's Secretary of State website explains, when there is an out-of-state lien holder, then:

Michigan will issue a "FOREIGN OWNERSHIP-REGISTRATION ONLY" registration for the vehicle. A Michigan title is not issued. The out-of-state title remains the ownership document.
I have a copy of the Kansas title with the lien holder information.

I'm also holding a Lien Release document from the Kansas Department of Revenue and a letter from the Kansas "Central Office Operation Bureau" that a Kansas title without a lien "has been issued and sent to the state of Michigan." This worries me because Michigan has no record of such a title, at least not that they're telling me.

My brother-in-law lives in Italy. It's hard enough to deal with Italy's bureaucracy — I offered to help him out so his grandmother can drive his car.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Have you visited MI DMV in person? And dealt with someone knowledgeable? With no lien it seems MI should have issued a title and license plates. Not sure how this can be done, though, without the owner's signature.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Run VIN to trace title?