Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

This is what 90% of Americans don't know...You might want to know!

Old 01-11-2003, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is what 90% of Americans don't know...You might want to know!

I hope everyone else is enjoying our crooked govt

By Rush Limbaugh

I think the vast differences in compensation between the victims of the September 11th casualty, and those who die serving the country in uniform, are profound. No one is really talking about it either because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11th. Well, I just can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country.

If you lost a family member in the September 11th attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable. Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people that are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11th families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you?

Folks, this is part and parcel of over fifty years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad.

Every time when a pay raise comes up for the military they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low rent housing.

However our own U.S. Congress just voted themselves a raise, and many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one-time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month and most are now equal to be millionaires plus. They also do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system.

If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7 you may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed you in harms way receive a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.

"When do we finally do something about this ??"

Old 01-11-2003, 07:28 AM

What makes you think that 90% of Americans don't know this? This is no more outrageous than the differential between what a common sports figure takes home (and complains loudly about) and what a typical school teacher earns. Americans value entertainment far more than we value education. We make time for our favorite TV shows, but there's never time to sit down and do homework with the kids.

This is news?

Rush Limbaugh, master of the obvious.

Tim

P.S. One of the details that Rush ignores here is that the victims of 9/11 were involuntary participants in an undeclared war. At this point in time, all of our current service personnel are volunteers, all of whom knew when they signed up that there was the potential for loss of life. That doesn't make their lives less valuable or the loss less tragic, but it's a non-trivial difference for the families of those whose lives were stolen in the course of peace-time daily life. In other words, I may not think the difference is right, and I may agree that the 9/11 families are over-compensated. However, as a nation, we certainly had a great deal more sympathy (shown in our outpouring of contributions) for those victims than the thousands who die from AIDS each year. Go figure.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:13 AM

I was under the impression that the money given to 911 victims' families was all donated. I'm not aware of any tax dollars going to them. Am I wrong?

If the money was given specificaly for the victims' families then they ARE intitled to it. I think Rush's point though is that the families of other victims are now crying foul and feel that THEY are intitled to something. Since there is no donation fund for them they are looking to the government.

To a degree Rush has a good and important point. Too many Americans do have an intitlement mentality.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:18 AM

Um Tim...I am more outraged on what the American population doesn't know about the pensions that are being paid to these congress men. Its outrageous, $15,000 a month for sitting on your ass, No thank you I would prefer my tax dollars be spent otherwise. Hmm lets see...how about not even taxing college students! I pay out the rear for taxes, granted I get financial aid, but I just turned around and paid for my own schooling and more through my taxes. Wow sure I get a tax return check every year put only a freaking percentage of it!
Old 01-11-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What most taxpayers don't know, also is that these people suggest and vote into being their OWN raises! Where are the checks and balances on this?

Most senators and congressmen make as much or more money as the President does, whose salary, last I heard, was capped at $200,000 a year.

Makes you think really hard about the fox (government) that's guarding the henhouse (taxpayer dollars), doesn't it?
Old 01-11-2003, 09:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the President's salary was raised to 400 grand/year a few years back. Honestly though, I don't think our congresspeople or president are overpaid. I just wish they'd do their job instead of being shills for corporate America.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:43 AM

I think every American should spend a year or so in a 3rd world country. That way, they'll come back more appreciative of the freedoms we enjoy.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It's not all relative. I don't need to see how much better off I am than someone else to know how much better off I could be if our government did their freakin' jobs.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:07 AM

i believe that for congress, it is an automatic, scheduled raise unless they vote NOT to give it to themselves.... that way they think it comes off better than voting FOR a raise.

and as a retired E7 (GySgt USMC) from 1995, i get $1300 a month and COLA based along the same lines as Social Security benefit recipients.

my personal belief is that people can get elected to 1 term, any political office, and get no benefits afterward. that would cut out all the time they spend running for re-election while in office and spend their time and efforts doing something good for the people of their district. would also be nice that if they send us to war, they all go with us.

of course, none of the people in office would vote for it unless it is grandfathered so it only affects newly elected officials.

keith
Old 01-12-2003, 02:54 PM

You think anybody in office would vote for a cut? They're lawyers!

Quick Reply: This is what 90% of Americans don't know...You might want to know!