Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

#&$#//#-*<<<14th Official Hard-at-work Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by NeutralSteer
Has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo head unit in their S? If so, how do the stock speakers sound with it?

I just realized that Modifry sells the plug in harness adapters in addition to their DCI, so it looks like it may not be a bad job at all. Will have to dig around this site for any DIYs in case I'm missing anything and do more research on headunits too. I want to keep my S as stock as possible so the less trimming/cutting the better. I've just gotten tired of my FM transmitter, especially cause my 12V plug keeps coming undone with it plugged in.

My 07 Berlina has an Alpine HU and the stock speakers, in the door and headrest, that sound better than the stock HU. It does have the Modifry harness, so all my dash controls work. It's the easiest way to swap a HU out, plus it PnP.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had Alpine Hu, amp, sub and speakers. Very stock looking install. The Hu and speakers are fairly easy. I think you'll get much better results by using a higher power HU and changing out the speakers. When you start doing subs and amps, you get into much more work.

there is an audio section, I'm sure there are good pics and instructions there
Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got pinged because somebody mentioned my name in this thread, but do y'all realize there is a song titled "Hard at Work"? The lyrics are actually more like "She keeps me hard at work". It's hilarious and on the latest HCTM CD. You can listen free here. CAUTION - Adult content, not for everybody.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool thanks for the help guys. I found a decent thread for an AP2 install Rick, but it seems like it won't be too bad at all. Now to do research on head units to figure out which one I want to buy.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:51 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Cool thanks for the help guys. I found a decent thread for an AP2 install Rick, but it seems like it won't be too bad at all. Now to do research on head units to figure out which one I want to buy.
Pay attention to the design of the knobs/buttons to make sure they work with the flip down door. The Alpine decks used to use a knob that could be pushed in so it's flush, those work well with the flip down door, but I'm not up to date on all the brands out there.

Just something to think about so you can still shut the flip down door.
The following users liked this post:
NeutralSteer (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Pay attention to the design of the knobs/buttons to make sure they work with the flip down door. The Alpine decks used to use a knob that could be pushed in so it's flush, those work well with the flip down door, but I'm not up to date on all the brands out there.

Just something to think about so you can still shut the flip down door.
Oh good call. I would have totally forgotten about that. I was leaning towards Alpine anyways as it seems like the most straightforward to install with the DCI.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Oh good call. I would have totally forgotten about that. I was leaning towards Alpine anyways as it seems like the most straightforward to install with the DCI.
Alpine is a safe bet, just check the specs to make sure, I don't think the knobs all go flush on all the decks. I think Mocky has issues with his not going in, but I'm not certain.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Alpine is a safe bet, just check the specs to make sure, I don't think the knobs all go flush on all the decks. I think Mocky has issues with his not going in, but I'm not certain.
Yep. This is more of a byproduct of me being lazy and not taking the time to keep the lines behind the HU clean. It's a pretty tight fit behind it. I might take the time to take the center console off, and go back through the process of cleaning it up.. someday....

I agree with Sam. Alpine is a safe bet. I'll have to check, but I might have an extra DCI sitting around. lol
Old 01-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mocky
Yep. This is more of a byproduct of me being lazy and not taking the time to keep the lines behind the HU clean. It's a pretty tight fit behind it. I might take the time to take the center console off, and go back through the process of cleaning it up.. someday....

I agree with Sam. Alpine is a safe bet. I'll have to check, but I might have an extra DCI sitting around. lol
Cool, let me know if you do and how much you want for it. I'll most likely be going with the Alpine CDE-163BT, which looks like it should hit all my needs and then some.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:48 PM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just drilled new holes in the bracket to push my head unit back a bit to clear the door. It's a bit tedious but could be done.

Quick Reply: #&$#//#-*<<<14th Official Hard-at-work Thread