Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

2017 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Old 06-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2017 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Wanted to post this here in case any of you are interested. We are putting an s2ki group together for the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix this again this year (our 4th year!), it is July 15-16th.

For those of you who have never heard of it it is a really unique vintage race that takes place every July in Schenley Park (Pittsburgh). It's the nation's largest vintage race event and the only vintage race event that is run on actual city streets.The best place to watch the races is from the Bob O'Connor Golf Course where the PVGP stages an International Car Show. The cars are organized by country of origin and are spread out over the entire golf course. Over 2,000 cars participate in the car show - it's really amazing to see so many interesting vehicles in one place! And most importantly, this event raises money for the Autism Society of Pittsburgh and the Allegheny Valley School. Last year they were able to donate a record $405,500 to those two very worthy causes.

Check out the post over on the Allegheny Forum (My Link) and let me know if anyone would be interested. It's a great event and really worth the trip.

Here is a link to the PVGP's website (My link) and it even made it to Jalopnik (My link).

Thanks and hope to see some of you race weekend!!
Old 06-08-2017, 02:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which race do they have on the 16th? I have a physical fitness test that weekend, but I may try and take sunday off to drive down depending on what event is that day.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:12 AM
Community Organizer

The 16th is race day, they have a bunch of races from Noon to about 4ish. Below is a link to the race schedule.

Schenley Park Race Schedule -
Old 06-13-2017, 06:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just checked with the fam, we can't do it this year but we are definitely planning on going next year. WE absolutely love Pittsburgh, my girls dad is from around there.

Side note: if you haven't had Tako or Gaucho Parilla yet, definitely worth a visit.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Choop-A-loop
Just checked with the fam, we can't do it this year but we are definitely planning on going next year. WE absolutely love Pittsburgh, my girls dad is from around there.

Side note: if you haven't had Tako or Gaucho Parilla yet, definitely worth a visit.
I have heard of Gaucho but have not been there yet and I have never heard of Tako. I will have to check them out.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Default PVGP additional info

2017 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix (July 15-16, 2017)

View First Unread
    Sara! , 06-07-2017 01:34 PM
    OFFICIAL S2KI@PVGP INFORMATION

You know what time it is... PITTSBURGH VINTAGE GRAND PRIX! Fourth year in a row, guys! Here are the details. I'll update this post if anything changes.

Registration

Registration is now open for the event. The cost is $35.00 per car (plus a $2.50 credit card processing fee). Read below first, then click here: Register!

IMPORTANT: After you register, please post here so that I can add you to the attendee list. There is no Car Club Affiliation field like in previous years, so the attendee list is how I'll get a count for the organizers to block off space for us. You'll get an email confirmation, but nothing will be sent to you in the mail and you don't need to bring any paperwork to the event (despite what the registration site says). They'll have your information at the gate when you arrive.

The organizers have asked that we all register by July 6th (I know the site says July 13th, but we're special) so they have time to map out the different club areas. I'll post a reminder a couple of days before then. Just to be clear, there are no refunds and the event is rain or shine. Also, if you absolutely can't preregister, you can pay at the gate on Saturday ($40 instead of $35). However, there's a possibility that there won't be enough room for you to park in our designated S2KI area, so I recommend preregistering.

Caravan and Arrival

The main event for us will take place on Saturday, July 15th. The gates open at 9:30am. Walt (cilocar) and I will be there waiting to direct you to our area and line up the cars. Caravanning in is the best way to streamline the arrival process. If everyone could get there at the same time, or at least in a couple of groups, it would be much easier to get everyone parked. As we get closer to the event, I'll post information about a caravan meeting spot. It will most likely be the same place as last year, but I need to confirm that nothing has changed. You definitely don't have to caravan in. If you're preregistered and you've posted here that you're coming, we'll save a spot for you. I would still suggest getting there as early as possible though, just in case the rotaries get out of control and start parking in triangle formations in our zone.

I know some of you are planning on going both days (myself included), but on Sunday you can come whenever you want. No caravan necessary. Sundays are much less crowded, so even though we won't have a special blocked off section, you'll probably be able to park together anyway.

Lunch, etc.

You can bring a picnic lunch if you'd like or you can buy food there. The food for sale is county fair style - think Italian sausage sandwiches and funnel cakes sold from a trailer. This is a BYOB event, if you're into that kind of thing. We've been approved to put up a pop-up tent (just one - I'll bring it) for shade, probably up near the tree line where we've been in prior years. I recommend bringing lawn chairs, sunscreen, and plenty of water. It gets hot out there! And of course, wear comfy shoes.

Here's some additional info about the PVGP rules and such: General Event Information

Hotel Suggestions

For those travelling from out of town for this event, I have two hotel suggestions:

Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh - McCandless, PA
    Fairfield Inn & Suites Pittsburgh North/McCandless

These hotels aren't the closest hotels to the event, but they are the closest hotels to my house, which will serve as a home base throughout the weekend. I'm happy to give hotel suggestions for other parts of Pittsburgh - just send me a PM.

If you're new or want to relive the memories, here are the threads from previous years:
    S2KI@PVGP 2016
    S2KI@PVGP 2015
    S2KI@PVGP 2014

That should be everything! Please let me know if you have any questions at all. Can't wait to see yinz!

1. mmoore9700
    2. Ag2002
    3. paterjim
    4. fredh5062
    5. cilocar
    6. Driveaholic