Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Could I take legal action?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I take legal action?

Here is the scoop. Last thursday I purchased a 1999 jeep grand cherokee as a daily driver to have the ability of driving to school and work. Well, I test drove it and it seemed to drive fine, the car seemed to be reliable, so i decided to buy it. BIG MISTAKE. Friday night it started having problems turning over. It would sputter for about 4 seconds then finally turn over. That seemed odd to me and thought it could possibly be the injectors. Saturday morning i took it in to have the oil changed and there was only 1 1/2 quarts of oil in it. Saturday night i was sitting in a random parking lot talking to someone with the car running and about 15 minutes later I smelled something hot/like syrup. Without hesitation I looked down at the guage and it was pegged in red saying it was overheating so i shut it off immediatly. When doing so white smoke poured out and dropped my coolant everywhere. The car was towed back to my house and i came to the conclusion that it was either the fan didnt kick on or the thermo was stuck. Come to find out it was a jimmy'd fan wire connected by electrical tape that had come loose so I used wire connectors and re-connected it. This morning I drove it for awhile and it worked fine, then all of the sudden it started bogging while driving and while at idle. The problem persisted and became worse. Now, when i turn the car on it will bog down and die as soon as i turn it on. This car ahs been a 72 hour nightmare with absolutly nothing but problems. The man told me the car ran perfectly fine with no issues and that it was in perfect running condition....oh, did i fail to mention i found out that the car had been badly wrecked. JB weld all under the car and I took the door panel off and it is a white door panel on a blue car. I am going to speak with my attorney tomorrow to see my options and see if i cannot possibly sue him. I have not put the title in my name yet and Im glad i didnt. The man said he will be coming to my house to discuss getting my money back but there is not guarantee. I'm hoping he realizes that I am not a fool and that I know a piece of shit when I drive one. If anyone has any information in regards to legal action that can be taken (or even if it can be taken) please share with me some if the possibilities. I know that I will be speaking to my attorney but it is nice to hear others input too. It is very sad that people have to do this kind of shit to others. I personally would never ever sell someone a piece of shit nor try to sugarcoat a car. This world is absolutly bananas. This day and age it is almost impossible to go anywhere to purchase a vehicle other than a dealership because out of worry or fear that someone will f*** you over. ugghhhh.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:40 AM
Former Moderator

You can take legal action on just about anything if you want. What you have to decide many times is is it worth the cost, time and frustration. Many who haven't been through it underestimate all those things.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 AM

Sorry to say it, but caviat emptor

Used cars are probably the most pure definition of this principle in all of the sales world. The respobnsibility to ensure the car is in good working order is completely on you. What the dealer said to you is not at all important because what you actually signed is the governing document.

You can sue and you can fuss back at the dealer, but just keep in mind that if you push too far the law and precident is most likely fully on his side. Your best alternative if it gets really nasty is to make the dealer feel like you will make a public issue out of it (picketing, etc) if he doesn't help you make it right.

Best of luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These things were junk when they were only 3 years old! If you get stuck with it, it will also eventually need AC condensor and evaporator core, transmission, front and rear differential carrier bearings, front halfshafts, Transfer case chain, If you got the V8 than the rings are probably toast. The 6cyl is a good motor, but both will give you only 12-13mpg. You didn't pay more than 2k for this thing did you?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Hey now, David! My dad's old Jeep Grand Cherokee with the straight 6 could do 21 MPG. On the highway. With a tailwind.

It also went through something like 3 catalytic converters in less than 100,000 miles and needed brakes constantly. But it still runs fine if I recall.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Car Fax is about the best you can do when it comes to buying a used car, that's if all the problems and issues where correctly documented. The rest is hit and miss, when you purchase used cars. Losing your cool with the guy you bought it from won't do much good, since I'm assuming you didn't get any kind of warranty. Maintain your composure and perhaps he'll help get it squared away. Legally, not much on your side, unless you know the judge. Sorry and Good Luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by thebosn,Mar 29 2010, 12:14 PM
Car Fax is about the best you can do when it comes to buying a used car
or you could hire a mechanic or body guy to check it out......why more people don't do this I don't understand.

To the OP....sorry to hear. Used cars are bought "as-is". Did you buy it from a dealer or private party? The only recourse you MIGHT have depending on consumer laws in Ohio is that if they KNEW about the damage repair they would be required to disclose it. Like somebody else said though....the cost of fighting it may be more than you will ever recover.

If it was a private party sale.....tough luck. You could file in small claims court and hope that the guy gets scared and settles....but you would lose if it went there.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Yes the straight six motor is a fantasitc motor. Everything else on the jeep seems to be a problem. Trannys on the v8's are terrible..

UPDATE: The man came down today and took his car back and gave me all of my money. We had no arguments nor was there any hot air. He apologized for the problems that occured and said he didnt want to be known as someone that sold junk. I applaud his manhood and his morals and I let him know that. That really made me feel better and now I am a new owner of a 2002 lincoln ls WITH warranty and inspection/carfax records. It is sad that this whole situation had to happen but the way he handled the situation is admirable.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM

That is great!

Post up his dealership name so if anyone ever searches for it they will see he does good business.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Good Deal, Glad to hear you made out OK. Little luck on your side.
Congrats!

Quick Reply: Could I take legal action?