Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

I am...

Old 05-03-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by t777jb
...still chasing a solution to the not perfect shifting mechanism in my car. I ordered some ATE brake fluid and am going to change the clutch fluid based on Billmans advice - just going to suck the old stuff out, but not bleed it. Sounds like guys have had success with this by doing it and then driving some and then doing it again etc, until it all ends up clean. I'm also going to take the play out of the clutch per his advice. Anybody done these and how were the results?
Oops, never mind, I thought you were doing brakes....

What are the shifting issues?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
Originally Posted by t777jb' timestamp='1462288352' post='23955683
...still chasing a solution to the not perfect shifting mechanism in my car. I ordered some ATE brake fluid and am going to change the clutch fluid based on Billmans advice - just going to suck the old stuff out, but not bleed it. Sounds like guys have had success with this by doing it and then driving some and then doing it again etc, until it all ends up clean. I'm also going to take the play out of the clutch per his advice. Anybody done these and how were the results?
Oops, never mind, I thought you were doing brakes....

What are the shifting issues?
It doesn't like to go into first when completely stopped - if I slide it into first just as I'm stopping, no problem. It also makes a decent thunk going into 1st when I am completely stopped...sometimes. There is a small amount of bite going into second and a little more going into 3rd. Half the time I don't feel it in 2nd, but you always feel it going into 3rd. It's less noticeable in both gears at higher RPM's. Greasing the shifter helped overall feel, but didn't really affect the aforementioned issues. I'm guessing it is more of a synchro problem, but it's not bad enough to get into that kind of repair. I can live with it like this for quite a while, but smoother would be nice. I found some posts where Billman said the fluid change and play adjustment will fix just this type of problem.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Are you using an aftermarket shift knob?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mocky
No, it is the original 2000 model knob. I think it will get replaced at some point - probably go with the moddiction knob.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by t777jb
Originally Posted by Mocky' timestamp='1462295391' post='23955848
No, it is the original 2000 model knob. I think it will get replaced at some point - probably go with the moddiction knob.

Gotcha. slightly off topic but I tried a handful of shift knobs and I ran into an issue with 1st gear grinding, occasional gear pop-out, etc. so I went back to the OEM shift knob and the issue went away.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky
Originally Posted by t777jb' timestamp='1462295630' post='23955852
[quote name='Mocky' timestamp='1462295391' post='23955848']

Gotcha. slightly off topic but I tried a handful of shift knobs and I ran into an issue with 1st gear grinding, occasional gear pop-out, etc. so I went back to the OEM shift knob and the issue went away.
[/quote]
Walnut! The only way to go!!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:11 AM

...up to 3 metric wrenches in the toolbox. I used the 12mm to adjust the clutch last night. Got rid of most of the first stage of play, but didn't get it all so I'm looking forward to shoehorning myself into the expansive footwell again. It's shifting much better and the clutch feels better now too. I also replaced the clutch fluid again after driving about 50 miles since the last change. It was somewhat dirty after 50 miles. I think after I do this another time or 2, it will be all cleaned up. This method seemed a lot easier than jacking it up and crawling under there to bleed it. The best thing I did last night was to put a new foam insulator around the shifter. The old one was partially disintegrated and came out in little pieces when I greased the shifter. I was on the fence about getting one of these pieces of foam at $30, but I couldn't stand it not being right so I bought it, and it makes a huge difference. It seems to cut the clutch buzz noise in half. The clutch fluid, the clutch adjustment, and the insulator are all very easy and inexpensive projects that have made a big difference.
Took the locking nut off the shift rod and the knob goes a lot lower. I like it much better and it even lined up correctly when it was screwed all the way down.
I have a bunch of walnut trees in the back yard so next time I take a branch off, I'll work on carving a new shift knob. That should only take me a couple years.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:51 PM

Old 05-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts

...getting the car preped for Mid-Ohio.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:25 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

...trying to diagnose a random idling issue...the S has progressively started to get a funky idle, and its intermittent. No check engine lights. Havent done anything modification wise/maintenance wise recently that would've affected my idle. Any ideas? IACV?? It will idle high (15-1800 rpms) then come down slow until it dies. Have to restart it, comes back on immediately, but the idle is still not where it should be. Anyone else experience this issue? Stumped at the moment...

Quick Reply: I am...