S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Ohio S2000 Club (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/ohio-s2000-club-95/)
-   -   Mid Ohio in the rain (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/ohio-s2000-club-95/mid-ohio-rain-1180945/)

Afterfire 01-13-2018 03:30 PM

Mid Ohio in the rain

Hi all. I am slated to go to Mid Ohio in April and was talking to a friend with a Miata who had gone before about what he thought of the track. He told me that if theres rain in the forecast, its the least bit damp or even just mist, count the day as a loss and dont even go. He went on to talk about types of barriers and how there was no grip, he'd seen more cars spin out or wreck more that day then his 35-40 track days combined and was just dangerous. I took it with a grain of salt but still want to do my due diligence and get more sources from locals or others who have been. Thanks!

Kirk180 01-14-2018 05:06 AM

Mid-Ohio is the slipperiest track I've ever been on when wet. It's common knowledge in the local track community that it's one of the most dangerous tracks around, to run wet. Ever seen the pros run it wet? They're a mess. Just look at the Nascar run there last year; or was it two years ago? Carnage everywhere. Same for Indy. I was there last April in the rain and will say that there's a lot to be learned on a wet track. The only time I've not driven on a wet track is when it's been shut down due to severe weather. So if I were you, I would still go. It will teach you a lot about your car and your driving. Super easy to spin out and you avg speed around Mid-Ohio will be very slow. But learning the wet line, car control, feeling what the wheels are doing under you, momentum, etc...will all be for the better in the long run. I have a 'it's a track first S2k' and mindset to follow, when it comes to my S2k. So if your car is a show car with a fashion first mindset in it's build, then I probably wouldn't run it. If it's a track first car, or you're serious about becoming a better driver, then I'd highly recommend still going. Having no idea what your experience level is, or what you want to get out of it, or what your goals are, makes it all the more difficult to really make a suggestion for ya. Then again, I guess you never asked for any of that. Therefore I'll just go back to the default answer: Mid-Ohio is very slippery when wet.

"April showers bring May flowers". There's a strong chance of rain on any given day in April. But you just never know.

Scooterboy 01-14-2018 05:34 AM

I drove the track wet during driving school and it was slippery than snot. Not fun at all!

BlueBarchetta 01-14-2018 03:34 PM

As others have said its horrible in the rain, on the race line

​​they have used a "sealer" to avoid repaving the track (a whole different issue). It is real close to ice. However, you can learn how to drive a rain line, and lots of car control. Just do not try, or expect to be fast.

lastly, do not run a tire you have been tracking on. Anything that has several track days will have hardened the rubber and exacerbate the issues. Do not even think of driving a "slick" or R Comp type tire. Use a true race "rain" tire, or a soft street tire that hasn't been tracked/autocrossed.

Scooterboy 01-14-2018 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta (Post 24406935)
However, you can learn how to drive a rain line, and lots of car control. Just do not try, or expect to be fast.

I agree. They did show us the rain line but there wasn't much room for error as it was a narrow line.

JBamin 01-14-2018 05:42 PM

I concur, it is very slippery when wet. if you get to hear pro drivers talk about it many will say it is one of the worst in the world when wet.

Afterfire 01-16-2018 06:57 AM

Thank you all for the input. Ill be traveling from North Carolina and want to prep for worst conditions. Ill be on re71r's so hopefully they can deal with the wet well if it happens.

Kirk180 01-16-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Afterfire (Post 24407535)
Thank you all for the input. Ill be traveling from North Carolina and want to prep for worst conditions. Ill be on re71r's so hopefully they can deal with the wet well if it happens.

I’ve ran an RS3 and 4’s with their 200 treadwear there. Still very slippery. It’s too early to cancel due to bad weather. For all you know it will be 70 degrees and sunny. Just be prepared for rain. And if it happens, be careful and learn on it. Hopefully it’s dry. The track itself is fantastic. You’d love it in sunny conditions.

bgoetz 01-16-2018 05:46 PM

I echo the others very slick when wet, but manageable if driven properly.

IMO though Mid-Ohio is the most dangerous on cold damp mornings when there is a feeling of confidence then suddenly your backwards! That place is damn near as slick on those mornings as in the rain.

It is a great track and maybe i will see you out there!

Kirk180 01-17-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta (Post 24406935)
​​they have used a "sealer" to avoid repaving the track (a whole different issue).

^^^this. Mums the word. (Ownership)