Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

New Owner: Boardman, OH

Old 05-17-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeutralSteer
Welcome and congrats on buying an S2000. There's a list of shops stickied on this forum, which should have some recommendations for places to get maintenance done. Let us know if you have any more specific questions that you can't find any information about in the rest of the sub-forums.
Thanks! I just wish it would stop raining so i could drive it.. Today wasn't bad. The stickies have been very helpful. Based on what i've read, my car is due for the works...all fluids drained and replaced, valve adjustment and it looks like i should get a TCT. Has anyone had experience with Billman's? Speaking of which.. Is it worth the 6-hr drive for his once over? or should I consider H-A in Cuyahoga Falls? Thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jon for the TCT I'm using ballade and have been very happy with it. From what I've heard, Billman is also very good I just don't have experience with that unit. install is straight forward and easy as long as you take your time. I did it in about 30 minutes while I was doing an oil change. My buddy Jake did his valve adjustment not too long ago so I think he still has the tool for it. We're in Delaware, OH which is only a couple hours from you if you'd like some help. Cheers!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:46 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Billman's GenX is the only TCT I'd consider. Actually already did at 40,000 miles 3 or 4 years ago. 10 minute job with the right wrench for me but I had swapped out the OEM air cleaner for the K&N FIPK (really for the induction noise but they claim a pony or two) so there was good access. With that air filter I can change the oil filter from under the hood too and using the oil scavenge pump (from my boat) I don't have to get under there and loosen any drains. News article in the past month or so about the express oil changes done at a big Honda dealer in Cleveland Heights extracting oil this way. A non messy way of doing it. Honda only calls for a filter change every other oil change but they're relatively cheap. Be sure to get the right filter. Messages here indicate some Honda dealers don't know the right part number.

Complete fluid swap is in order to get maintenance back on track. Lots of recommendations on what to use. Just follow the specs in your owner's manual and don't obsess over brand names -- everyone has their favorite. Full synthetic 5W-30 Royal Purple in my car, Honda MTF in the gearbox just swapped out for Royal Purple SyncroMax (based on LHTPerformance recommendation), Amsoil 75W-110 GL5 gear oil going in the differential once I get the aftermarket diffuser off the car and can access the diff. I'm fixing (as we say here in Virginia) to do a compete hydraulic fluid replacement using Billman's Gravity method. I flushed out the reservoirs under the hood and found the fluid shockingly filthy so this will happen as soon as time permits. This is routine maintenance. Several detailed photo essays in the library here.

Cabin air filter (under the cowl rubber seal and snaps) is probably filthy.

Ignore stuff like the steering wheel for now. It can be recovered next winter when the car will be in storage. First item and key to handling is tires. The OEM tires decades ago were good but tire technology is highly competitive and good tires abound. A hundred tire threads here with brand favorites. I've had two sets of Extreme Performance Summer tires and dropped down a category to Max Performace this time with no difference I can detect (and less road noise). I'm running Bridgestone S-04 in "CR" spec (215F/255R). Again opinions and cars vary.

Just moved south from NE Ohio and getting 3 or 4 more months of good driving.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 05-18-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Thanks Chuck- This is really helpful information. I'll focus on maintenance and will likely scoop up the Billman TCT this weekend. I'll admit, i'm not the most handy guy. I've never changed any type of oil, so I scheduled some time with H-A in Cuyahoga to perform a 100k maintenance and valve adjustment on the 29th. I'm open to suggestions if i should consider elsewhere/otherwise. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-18-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sk2Jon
Thanks Chuck- This is really helpful information. I'll focus on maintenance and will likely scoop up the Billman TCT this weekend. I'll admit, i'm not the most handy guy. I've never changed any type of oil, so I scheduled some time with H-A in Cuyahoga to perform a 100k maintenance and valve adjustment on the 29th. I'm open to suggestions if i should consider elsewhere/otherwise. Thanks everyone!
I use H-A for all my more difficult or time consuming maintenance stuff (granted I also recommended them on the shops sticky). The owner, Greg, used to own an S2000, and they have several continuous S2000 customers too. I recommend telling them you just bought the car and see if they'll do a quick inspection of it to make sure nothing obvious is wrong. I'll be traveling on the 29th otherwise I would have dropped by to say hi since they're right down the street from where I live.

The TCT isn't too bad to do yourself if you have the few wrenches you need to do it. There is a DIY somewhere on this forum that walks you through the exact steps. Just make sure you don't uncompress the spring on the new TCT until you get to that step, try not to drop everything in the old TCT when you pull it out (I did and just had to find it all on my garage floor), and triple check you have removed the ratchet on the engine pulley before starting the engine).
Old 05-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

H-A? Something I missed in a near lifetime in Cleveland? Not that it helps me here in Richmond.

Valves have to be checked/adjusted cold (under 100°F). Takes hours for the engine to cool after a highway run.

-- Chuck
Old 05-18-2018, 03:41 PM

[left]
Originally Posted by Chuck S
H-A? Something I missed in a near lifetime in Cleveland? Not that it helps me here in Richmond.

Valves have to be checked/adjusted cold (under 100°F). Takes hours for the engine to cool after a highway run.

-- Chuck
I found the recommendation in the sticky
Old 05-18-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome aboard!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome!!!! Enjoy the car!
Old 05-19-2018, 05:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome! I found that the s2000 community is full of great people! Enjoy your new ride!

Quick Reply: New Owner: Boardman, OH