Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Regarding underbody rust

Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sales told me he cannot remove the mouldings because they are firmly affixed. I thought those could be removed with a screw driver since they are just plastic rivet?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ktouge
The Sales told me he cannot remove the mouldings because they are firmly affixed. I thought those could be removed with a screw driver since they are just plastic rivet?
No it is stuck on, like a giant sticker. It can be removed and there should be factory fresh yellow paint under it, although with that car who knows. That car is an odd one, low miles and looks rather clean. Then there is that window frame and corrosion, which makes me really wonder about how well it was cared for.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
No it is stuck on, like a giant sticker. It can be removed and there should be factory fresh yellow paint under it, although with that car who knows. That car is an odd one, low miles and looks rather clean. Then there is that window frame and corrosion, which makes me really wonder about how well it was cared for.
So he can just pull them down? What's the easiest way to take them down?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you remove that rubber stuff you need new ones. I have never seen a window frame in that condition either. Did you notice the bald tire in the pics?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by David1
Once you remove that rubber stuff you need new ones. I have never seen a window frame in that condition either. Did you notice the bald tire in the pics?
Yeah and they are cracking. Must been on there for ages.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by David1
So, in that case. I don't think the Sales will be willing to take them down since you can't put them back on. How much are those rubber liner anyways?
Old 05-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ktouge
So, in that case. I don't think the Sales will be willing to take them down since you can't put them back on. How much are those rubber liner anyways?
I think people are talking about different things here.

The black around the windshield frame is essentially a vinyl decal, but it is quite time consuming to remove, underneath it should be body color. I've never seen one crack like that, as others have said, it looks like the car has sat outside for a while.

The trim around the wheel wells is rubber/plastic, I don't think the sales guy will remove those, but he could take pictures of them so you can see if there's bubbling/rust in those areas.

The car exterior looks in decent shape (other than the obvious in the pics) but with the mileage being so low I'd expect better condition. I'd say it wasn't very well taken care of.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

With all due respect to the previous comments, the rust that I would be most worried about cannot be seen. It's that which is induced by nearly all ice melting materials, the suspension attachment bushings and the alignment bushings and bolts. Based upon the level of rust that I see on simple bracket and exposed threads, I'd bet that there is rust on the bushing bolts and alignment cam bolts.

While I admit that I'm anal about the quality of maintenance and modifications to my car, which makes my opinion tainted, I would not buy that car for myself.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
With all due respect to the previous comments, the rust that I would be most worried about cannot be seen. It's that which is induced by nearly all ice melting materials, the suspension attachment bushings and the alignment bushings and bolts. Based upon the level of rust that I see on simple bracket and exposed threads, I'd bet that there is rust on the bushing bolts and alignment cam bolts.

While I admit that I'm anal about the quality of maintenance and modifications to my car, which makes my opinion tainted, I would not buy that car for myself.
Yeah I agree with hecash. Unless you're planning on tracking the car or driving it in winter yourself, the car doesn't really look like it was taken care of well enough for the low mileage to be worth it. For reference, I bought my 2006 AP2 with 49k miles, no rust and minor issues here and there for 20k about a year and a half ago, and I probably overpaid at that too. Bring a Trailer has been having some pretty good condition S2000s selling for what seem like bargains to me so maybe that would be worth a look if you're patient enough.
The following users liked this post:
9ktouge (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Quick Reply: Regarding underbody rust