Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Third time's the charm?

Old 04-23-2016, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Third time's the charm?

It's crazy to think my love affair with the S2000 began 12 years ago when I got my first. (JHo and I were joking last weekend, that now we're the 'old guys' of the group!) That first car, a 2002 Sebring Silver/Black S2000 was several things to me. Mainly, a realization of a dream of a car I'd had since I was in my final year of high school in 2000. When I graduated from college in 2004, I was able to make that dream a reality and found a 10,000 mile, pristine example for sale and swooped it up. The people I met (some still here!), times we all had together, and events which forever engrained the 'car bug' in me, are very much attributed to that car. Further, it's affectionately the car which gave me the nickname 'iceman', for obvious reasons looking back at the photo's.... Chrome? Really?!

Nonetheless, fast forward to 2007, and a few cars in between, owning an S2000 crossed my mind again. This time, owning a new GPW S2000 was a possibility. I called Honda Marysville to place an order on a 2007 GPW/Red,Black, and was surprised to hear one was to have been delivered a few weeks thereafter which wasn't yet spoken for. Needless to say, this became my second S2000, also one of which I have fond memories of Dragon trips, a few Mid-O weekends, and in general, being the garage queen most of my cars are. I parted ways with that car in 2009, and again, ever since, I've wanted another one...

As car guys, I'm sure you're the same as I - in that you're constantly scouring eBay, auto-trader, and various for-sale forums to see what's out there and that 'if I can find it, I'll buy it' car. For me, it was ALWAYS a 2003 GPW/Tan S2000. I don't know what it was about that particular combination, but it was a forever 'want' of mine. I loved my Ap1, but didn't necessarily get to choose the color. I loved my Ap2, but missed the 9K redline and overall more 'raw' feeling of the Ap1. That being said, this week, I picked up the car I've really wanted since the beginning; a 20k mile, all stock, absolutely pristine example of a 2003 GPW/Tan S2000. This, like my M3, will now forever grace my garage and be the 'staples' to which I hopefully am able to keep adding.

I flew to Atlanta this week to pick it up, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that 'pristine' was an accurate description of the car. Driving away with the car, it was overwhelming the instant rush of memories of times with my S2000's and the friends I've made as a result left me departing the South with a big smile on my face. It was truly like meeting an old friend, again.

So, the love affair continues... I bra'd the car up, headed for Knoxville that first night, and made it home to Columbus yesterday. Yesterday, I clay'd the car, and began the process of paint correction to bring it up to what Honda Marysville calls "The Blake". Still have about a day of work on the exterior and interior, but only because this is such a time capsule the prior owner took such remarkable care of, that I owe it to the car to bring it back to show-room, new. Today will be seat's out, wheels-off detail. I've ordered a few new OEM interior bits to complete the 'showroom-new' look, and overall, besides some gold BBS LM's and potentially a Mugen exhaust again, have no plans for the car. It'll stay stock - because as my reunion with this car proved this week - it's just. that. good.

Here's some pictures of my first 2 S2000's, the 03' GPW on the trip home, and making introductions to 2 of its 5 garage mates. More glamour shots to come as the car is 'back to new'...

Best,

BW

The first:

[attachment=93899:image1 (2).JPG]
[attachment=93900:image2 (2).JPG]

The second:

[attachment=93901:image4 (2).JPG]
[attachment=93902:image3 (2).JPG]
[attachment=93903:image5 (2).JPG]

The third prior to leaving ATL...

[attachment=93904:2.jpg]
[attachment=93905:7.jpg]
[attachment=93906:image3.JPG]

A room with a view, for the night...
[attachment=93907:image4.JPG]

We're home!

[attachment=93908:image5.JPG]
[attachment=93909:image6.JPG]
[attachment=93910:image7.JPG]

Making friends with a few of its other garage queen siblings...

[attachment=93911:image8.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Third time's the charm?-image1-2-.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image2-2-.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image4-2-.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image3-2-.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image5-2-.jpg  

Third time's the charm?-2.jpg   Third time's the charm?-7.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image3.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image4.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image5.jpg  

Third time's the charm?-image6.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image7.jpg   Third time's the charm?-image8.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 07:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Dang, I will admit I looked at that one several times wondering if it was "the one". But for me it is a 2008 GPW or a CR and I will wait. Although that last picture makes me question my choice, GPW just makes this car.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:01 AM

Received 214 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 04-24-2016, 05:07 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those, bgoetz. Hold our for your perfect car; it's out there. It'll feel so good when it's in your hands!

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Dang, I will admit I looked at that one several times wondering if it was "the one". But for me it is a 2008 GPW or a CR and I will wait. Although that last picture makes me question my choice, GPW just makes this car.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Looks amazing. Wish I had the discipline to detail to that level.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats AWESOME you found one!! I almost made the mistake of selling one of my TWO ( adding a 3rd one here shortly). Thankfully, I came to my senses. This weekend after discovering Hocking Hills and its fun roads for the first time, I am glad I kept them. The only bad thing about low mileage is that...it only goes up. No measure on the fun with each mile tho. Well worth it.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KBDub
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those, bgoetz. Hold our for your perfect car; it's out there. It'll feel so good when it's in your hands!

I dunno. I had the paperwork for a '09 GPW but decided on the ABP CR. I don't regret the decision but do miss the option of a soft top.

Can't wait to see how the ride turns out Blake. Try to hold onto this one this time. It took me 3 times to get that right as well
Old 04-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by OHSilverS2k
Thats AWESOME you found one!! I almost made the mistake of selling one of my TWO ( adding a 3rd one here shortly). Thankfully, I came to my senses. This weekend after discovering Hocking Hills and its fun roads for the first time, I am glad I kept them. The only bad thing about low mileage is that...it only goes up. No measure on the fun with each mile tho. Well worth it.
Good point about the mileage. I was never driving my car for years. Now I just get in the car and go.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the love, guys. Yes, lesson learned with ridding of S1 and S2.... This S, and my M3 are two cars I'll keep for the long haul. Added another classic to the fray this weekend, too!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome back buddy!!!! (Not that you ever really went anywhere).

Quick Reply: Third time's the charm?