Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Track Night in America: Anyone?

Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track Night in America: Anyone?

Hello. Just thought I would check in to see if anyone else was going to be a Pitt International Race Complex this Thursday for Track Night?

http://www.tracknightinamerica.com/e...burgh-april-28
Old 05-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Pitt was a blast. The two tracks (North and South)are combined...which makes it a 2.9 mile circuit. Highly recommend. There was one other S2k out there. Was that a fellow member here? Didn't get a chance to ask.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

looks like a good time for a not a lot of money.. maybe someday i will be able to make it out to something like that.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I would check with the Allegheny guys.. they have Pitt Race in their backyard so I know they have been known to attend. One of my friends does the track cross event there. Looks like fun. I haven't been on the Pitt Race track (formerly BeaveRun since '05).
Old 05-04-2016, 08:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote nam
e='Kirk180' timestamp='1462138278' post='23954131']
Pitt was a blast. The two tracks (North and South)are combined...which makes it a 2.9 mile circuit. Highly recommend. There was one other S2k out there. Was that a fellow member here? Didn't get a chance to ask.
[/quote]

The new configuration is MUCH more interesting. Once they repave the old section (the ruts really upset cars with race suspensions), they have a facility that can rival mid Ohio. Especially when you consider the parking is better, the bathrooms are great, and you can go karting while you're there if you want. Really a nice facility
Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely plan on going atleast once this summer. Was there for autocross this past weekend. Really nice facility.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:44 AM

I agree with Blue. Fun track. Set up great. Easy access. I'll try to give a little back drop here for those who may be interested, but aren't sure how it's run, or have never tracked before. The TrackNight in America is a very informal event. Very fun. But very informal. Just a bunch of people who want to track their cars. I believe the whole purpose of it is to draw new people into tracking their cars. It looks like there's one event a month at PIRC throughout this race seasons. You drive by yourself (without an instructor), either in a Novice, Intermediate, of Advanced group, depending on which one you register for. One of my recommendations would be, if you haven't been on the track before, and don't have a lot of experience with tracking, pick the Novice group registration. It's still a lot of fun and the track is open to you. Besides the fact that it'll be a lot safer for you. Besides, you'll keep yourself from blocking the advanced drivers. And trust me, you'll stick out like a sore thumb if you sign in to a grouping you're not really ready for. I went novice even though I wanted to sign up for intermiediate, and I'm glad I did. Especially since I hadn't been to the track before. It was still a lot of fun; and the novice group gets free t-shirts. You run both the North and South tracks combined. So it's a fairly large track with a few straight away passing zone areas. On the third and final heat I started out in front of the pack, and no one ever had the ooportunity to pass me. So it was like an open track all to myself. Had I signed up for intermiediate or advanced, that wouldn't have been the case, I assure you. In total you get an hour of track time (3-twenty minute heats). You can also do 2 twenty minute paced laps, which again I highly recommend if you've never been to this track. On the paced laps you can focus on your technique and simply familiarize yourself with the track, practicing remembering where the next turn is and the line you'll need to run, etc. So in total, if it's your first time there, and you take advantage of the paced laps, you'll get 1 hr & 40 minutes of track time. Another perk I'm assuming is that it doesn't matter if you go with just a soft top. The guy who responds to emails said it was fine when I asked. You don't need a roll bar, and you don't need an OEM hardtop. I seen an S2k running there with just his soft top.

That's all. The price is great. If you're interested in playing on a track, and don't have a lot of experience, then this is a great way to get your feet wet and push your car as hard as you're comfortable with. Take care guys!

Disclaimer: First timers, when you get bit by the bug, don't blame me. Blame the car.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Update: I just go an email that appears to be saying you need an SCCA approved roll bar to ride at these events from here on out. They apologized for the inconvenience and sudden change of rules. So...time for me to figure that one out soon. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who may have read this and thought about signing up.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I interpreted the email differently... I believe the S2000 is still OK, as it has "documented factory installed roll over protection."
Old 05-13-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
I interpreted the email differently... I believe the S2000 is still OK, as it has "documented factory installed roll over protection."

Update: I got an email reply back from Jack stating that the S2k is in fact still able to go there and drive without a roll bar. And yes, the letter was definitely subject to interpretation. It tells you all these stipulations, but then it said at the very beginning that it's 'Highly recommended' as opposed to 'mandatory'. So I did email them and they said we're still good to go! I'll be there next Wednesday if anyone else plans on going and wants to hook up.

Quick Reply: Track Night in America: Anyone?