Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Wheel and Tire advice

Old 04-29-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by t777jb
This gentleman also had sparco racing seats he was willing to sell for $500 ( I assumed each but I'm not sure about that) They were nice and had the seat rails and he had modified them to fit correctly...I think I have blown my car budget for the year, but it was tempting. He had extra inserts etc. - I don't know anything about racing seats yet but it seemed like this was a good opportunity - should I be jumping on that?
I would have a few concerns. First, like Motoo said is fit. Sparco makes several different styles of race seats, in both narrow and wide versions. An S2000 with a stock interior can be notoriously difficult to get aftermarket seats into. Not knowing which style, difficult to say if they'd really fit. Also, many "race seats" can be a total PITA to get in/out of on a street car.

Next, I'd want to know exactly what was done to "modify" the brackets. One persons "modify" is another persons hack job. Not criticizing these particular seats/brackets (they could be perfect). Just saying it's my/your safety that is paramount.

Next, what was the manufacturing date on the seats? If you intend to do competitions with them, the date is important. Somewhat less so in a street car. Everyone should realize, there's a reason why these seats have expiration dates. Eventually the plastic is subject to cracking instead of bending.

Last, seat belts. Generally, most race seats are intended to be used with 5/6 point race harnesses. Race harnesses require a roll cage or bar for attachment. Some race seats can be used with stock belts (recaro pole positions). It's just that you have to be sure how you will combine the belts and seats.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on race seats in street cars. I have some friends with them (though you'd never know cause the car doesn't get driven much, cough cough). It just that while $500 is certainly very very cheap, there are a lot of fitment and safety issues to be addressed. Never want to see anyone get hurt, or modify their car in a way that would bring less enjoyment.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still researching this one. What do you guys think they mean by "reconditioned OEM wheel"? Is this something that was broken and they fixed it, or is it just refinished? Wheelsandcaps.com sells reconditioned OEM AP2v1 wheels for $142 and they sell used wheels for $178. That doesn't make any sense unless reconditioned means something really bad happened to that wheel. They sell replica wheels too which are only $116.
I have reconditioned rims on my AP1..they are flawless. The price was good. They checked out fine with my wheel professional. I think it might have been wheels and caps. Got the center caps there too..OEM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by OHSilverS2k
Originally Posted by t777jb' timestamp='1460667247' post='23938387
Still researching this one. What do you guys think they mean by "reconditioned OEM wheel"? Is this something that was broken and they fixed it, or is it just refinished? Wheelsandcaps.com sells reconditioned OEM AP2v1 wheels for $142 and they sell used wheels for $178. That doesn't make any sense unless reconditioned means something really bad happened to that wheel. They sell replica wheels too which are only $116.
I have reconditioned rims on my AP1..they are flawless. The price was good. They checked out fine with my wheel professional. I think it might have been wheels and caps. Got the center caps there too..OEM.
Reconditioned can mean almost anything. Could have been bent, could have had a piece of metal knocked off, could have been very corroded, or maybe just blasted and repainted. Depending on the quality of repair, and the original damage, reconditioned could be good, or maybe not something you'd want to get into
Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 AM

I think I missed out on the seats - his price was $500 for 2 of them. The driver seat had Mugen rails and the passenger had Buddyclub. They were the REV model and he had both black and blue covers for each. Not being entirely sure of what I might be buying, or if I would ever really use them, I offered him $400 for the pair. I figured if nothing else they would look cool sitting in my basement. He said he'd get back to me if someone else didn't buy them, but that he was getting a lot of interest. He did have a hard dog roll bar and harness's so the seat belt would have been an issue for me.
No vibrations with the new wheels/tires up to 90. This setup is noticeably better than the 16" wheels with the General tires. Steering feels just slightly heavier. They stick out farther and it looks to me like the right rear sticks out a little more than the left...why would that be? Fronts look the same. Drives great. Where do you find the serial number on the back bumper? I found every other panel number and they all match.
I'd still like to get some ap2v1 wheels someday and run all seasons on them and something really sticky on the OZ wheels. This car is getting expensive. I've spent more on it in 6 weeks than I spent on the motorcycle in 9 years.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 AM

I'd like to optimize handling for street use on a completely stock ap1. When I bought the car last month, it came with the stock ap1 wheels and new General brand all season performance tires. They are better than I expected, but I'm guessing 17" wheels with better tires would be a lot better?
My first thought was to get some OZ wheels 17x7 and 17x8.5 and tires from tire rack - wow, they are steep. Not many other options for 17" wheels if you want to remain staggered without doing any fender rolling. Hardly any wheels have enough offset. The OZ's with supersports will be about $2,100.
There's a guy on ebay that sells replica ap2 wheels for $470 delivered. Everything I can find on them is positive. I can't find a single complaint about these wheels. Finding used original ap2 wheels in good shape is not so easy. Most of them are beat up and more than $470...and who knows if they are actually straight.
So if I go that route, I'm thinking I would put Michelin Pilot Supersports on them - 245/40 on the back. For the front, would you go with 215/45, or 225/45? Those 2 sizes are the same price at Discount tire. Total price would be $1,200. All advice will be appreciated.
I went through the same debate for my 2003 AP1. Ultimately I bit the bullet and bought new, 17" OEM AP2 "V3" wheels from an online Honda OEM parts dealer. (I can't remember which one but it was probably HondaPartsCheap.com). I just surfed around and looked for the source that had the best price. They weren't cheap but I saved some cash by being able to reuse my existing center caps and then subsequently selling my old wheels. In the end the NET cost for new OEM wheels was than $1k. At that price, I wouldn't even consider aftermarket or replicas. The delta just wasn't worth it in my mind.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I'm not trying to throw cold water on race seats in street cars. I have some friends with them (though you'd never know cause the car doesn't get driven much, cough cough). It just that while $500 is certainly very very cheap, there are a lot of fitment and safety issues to be addressed. Never want to see anyone get hurt, or modify their car in a way that would bring less enjoyment.

Can't imagine who that is Btw, I'm pretty sure I have more miles on my "summer" car than you have this year. The convenience of having the car in your own garage and not 45 minutes away does wonders for car dilemma when it's nice outside.

Anyway, like he said. I have Pole Positions in my car and love them. I'm also very very aware of the expiration on the seat and would never run them in competition if they were expired. Fortunately for me, unlike Jho and BB, I don't compete, except in Forza
Old 05-02-2016, 04:43 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had Sparco Evo2 US in my track car last year. With no interior they barely fit (and I mean BARELY). I don't want to know how badly they were butchered to make them fit with an interior. This year I went to a Sparco halo seat and had to cut out part of the door panel. This car is tiny.

The only one I'm aware of that is remotely OK with an interior is the Recaro Pole Position. And those are on forever backorder due to the recall slowness.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JHo
The only one I'm aware of that is remotely OK with an interior is the Recaro Pole Position. And those are on forever backorder due to the recall slowness.
And they jacked the price up, to try and recover from their own mistake!

I have Recaros, but am not what could be called a happy customer, or happy with their business practices lately
Old 05-03-2016, 03:42 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
Originally Posted by JHo' timestamp='1462193005' post='23954490

I have Recaros, but am not what could be called a happy customer, or happy with their business practices lately

I'm fully aware of this..... it's pretty what they have done with their existing loyal customer base. I was fortunate to get a referral through Track First and able to get a new set of Recaros due to the recall. My dog and son are usually sleeping on one of them, and the other is sitting in the box in the basement.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:34 AM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocky
Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta' timestamp='1462212941' post='23954850
[quote name='JHo' timestamp='1462193005' post='23954490']

I'm fully aware of this..... it's pretty what they have done with their existing loyal customer base. I was fortunate to get a referral through Track First and able to get a new set of Recaros due to the recall. My dog and son are usually sleeping on one of them, and the other is sitting in the box in the basement.
[/quote]

I will say that Recaro has really screwed the pooch on this one. It's why I put Sparco's in my race car. Unfortunately the Pole Position is the only wide body seat that fits into the car with a full interior. I'm sure skinny guys have a much easier time.