Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Central Ohio mechanic needed

Old 03-23-2016, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Ohio mechanic needed

Hello Ohio members
I posted my motorcycle for sale a week ago Sunday, sold it Monday afternoon, and drove to WV to buy an 2000 S2K on Tuesday. I've had it for a week now and am gaining some confidence that it seems like it's a pretty decent car. Came with new tires, brakes and soft top - for some reason they put the old style top on it with the plastic rear window. I think they did a lousy job on the top as it sticks up at the corners of the windshield. My big concern is the retainers. Anybody know of a good shop where I can get it thoroughly checked out? I sent an email to Slow Motion, but they haven't responded. Going to try to attend Columbus Cars and Coffee a few times in April so if you are there, please say hi. Tim
[attachment=92694:20160322_190652_resized.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Central Ohio mechanic needed-20160322_190652_resized.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more pic cause cause the tree reflection is so cool...
[attachment=92695:20160322_190756_resized.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Central Ohio mechanic needed-20160322_190756_resized.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Those are easy enough to inspect, I could even give you a hand or it could maybe be a good mod day project.

I wouldn't pop the valve cover without doing a valve adjustment though.

How many miles on it?
Old 03-23-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Sounds like there're some guys in Columbus willing to help!

You can get the valve adjustment tool, feeler gauges, and a complete gasket set off Ebay inexpensively. Borrow a compression gauge from one of the guys in Columbus.

The valve adjustment is simple albeit tedious. Retainer inspection is done at the same time.

-- Chuck
Old 03-23-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello & welcome!

I'm not in Columbus, however, a company called euro xport makes a tool that makes valve spring work a breeze... However when I got mine, it needed machined a bit, so if you have access to a mill, I would recommend going that route.

Plan on replacing the retainers since you can't really visually inspect them. They might look fine form the top, but could have hair line cracks forming on the bottom. (some quick searches on here will show you what I mean)

Up to you if you want to do the intake & the exhaust ones, there is a bit of controversy about this. I replaced both & have no problems.

Times like this, I kinda wish we had an Ohio valve spring tool for all the members.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

It's a haul, but there is a guy at Ganley Honda on the westside of Cleveland that has probably done more valve adjustments than anyone has in the Midwest. Back when Jeff (hardtopguy) and Joe were running the majority of parts sales and service in North America for s2000 owners, the tech at Ganley would do all the valve adjustments. I forget how much it was. ($100? back in the day?). For that piece of mind, I think many people had it done at the dealership.

I had mine checked at 15k by a Honda master tech at the Dragon. 2 Labatts was my bill It's a good thing to check for sure.

sorry to hear about the softtop issue. I know there is a guy in SC that does softtop installs. If there were 5 or so tops that needed to be replaced, I bet he would come up and do them. As far as the plastic rear goes, it sucks that it is plastic but with a good plastic cleaner, you can keep it pretty clean. Also, the visibility is better than the '02 and up because the window is bigger.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fierc3
Hello & welcome!

I'm not in Columbus, however, a company called euro xport makes a tool that makes valve spring work a breeze... However when I got mine, it needed machined a bit, so if you have access to a mill, I would recommend going that route.

Plan on replacing the retainers since you can't really visually inspect them. They might look fine form the top, but could have hair line cracks forming on the bottom. (some quick searches on here will show you what I mean)

Up to you if you want to do the intake & the exhaust ones, there is a bit of controversy about this. I replaced both & have no problems.

Times like this, I kinda wish we had an Ohio valve spring tool for all the members.

Good luck!
I would only inspect them initially and then do a couple of follow up inspections periodically, it is as simple as removing the valve cover and a good chance to adjust the valves. I would NOT replace them if they look good, if a retainer is cracked enough where it will be an issue in the immediate future, it will be noticeable, there are a couple of good threads with pictures.

Once you have personally put a few thousand miles on the car and feel good that you don't have cracked retainers from the previous owner, there is really no need to worry unless you personally miss shift causing an overrev. You could always ask the previous owner, sure they could lie, but maybe they will tell you that they did money shift, then you may consider a closer look or pulling them.

IMO there are entirely too many people wasting time replacing perfectly good AP1 retainers and banjo bolts on this forum. The funny thing is, some of the epic threads of lost keepers that result in oil pans getting dropped and stripped banjo bolt nuts that create a horrible situation, all to do something that likely wasn't ever needed.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

"Special" valve adjustment tool? Home Depot. $13.

I imagine it's at least $100 for a commercial mechanic to do the job. Dirt simple but time consuming.

-Chuck
Old 03-23-2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
"Special" valve adjustment tool? Home Depot. $13.

I imagine it's at least $100 for a commercial mechanic to do the job. Dirt simple but time consuming.

-Chuck
He is talking about the tool to compress the springs and actually replace the retainers.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Greetings from an ex Groovy City dweller!

Occasionally you can find a good used OEM top with glass window and defrost. People take them out as a whole, including the motors and frame, when they turn their cars into track only appliances. It makes install a little simpler

Quick Reply: Central Ohio mechanic needed