Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

Oil Leak - Timing Chain Tensioner or VTech solenoid

Old 11-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oil Leak - Timing Chain Tensioner or VTech solenoid

I found a recently developed oil leak around the Timing Chain Tensioner (TCT) and VTec solenoid. I took these parts off & everthing looks OK. I have ordered o-rings & seals for each to replace and hope to get it back together this Thursday or Friday. The mount to for the supercharger sandwiched between the block and the Vtec Solenoid (requiring two seals, one on each side) so maybe this is adding to the problem.

Has anyone local had problems with an oil leak in this area? If so, is there anything I should look out for or be aware of?

Thanks!
Chris Larson
Edmond
Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

It's actually pretty common for AP1s to seep oil from that area. Hope changing the gaskets fixes it. Let us know!

My VTEC solenoid and TCT were replaced for that same reason under warranty right before the warranty expired, but now I have oil seeping from the front kinda like this or from somewhere in this general area.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:00 PM

Julie,
Thanks for the info. Within the last 2 weeks it started leaving drops of oil in my garage so I decided to take action. My instincts tell me it's the TCT o-rings.

(Unrelated) While taking everything off I noticed a hairline crack along the weld between the header pipe and the flange on cylinder #2. Should be an easy fix.

Despite all this, I am really enjoying tinkering with the car.

Chris.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.242825,-122.365232
Old 11-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Julie,

the leak around that particular bolt is an easy fix. Undo the bolt just enough to show the O-ring (do NOT undo it all the way), use a small pick or something to remove the old o-ring. insert new o-ring, tighten down the bolt.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

Come do it for me? j/k!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM

Sure, pay for the plane ticket!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:51 PM

Hope to have my oil leak all fixed. I hope to test it tomorrow.

In the process of replacing o-rings & seals I noticed a crack at the flange of my stainless header. Further inspection and I found the passenger muffler had a leak around the pressed in flange. I have a friend who is good at welding stainless and he helped me out today. Everything was all mounted then I noticed a crack in the catalytic converter just under the shroud.
The cat is also stainless so I am assuming it's Comptech USA like the header & cat back exhaust. Inside, the cat it is completely open (basically a test pipe). Does anyone know about Comptech USA catalytic converters? If so, did they make them without internals or did a previous owner gut it out for more flow?

The car is a little too loud for my taste but I bet some of that was due to three exhaust leaks. It is also running VERY rich and without a cat it smells pretty bad. So, if it's still loud after I get it back on the road, do you think putting in a high-flow cat would make it a little quieter & clean up the smell without hurting performance too much? Also, if this is a complete Comptech exhaust, does anyone know if a stock catalytic converter would mount in the same flanges without mods?

Next priority will be getting the EMS turned to fix the excessively rich mixture. The black soot in the exhaust is terrible. That would certainly help with the strong exhaust smell too.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 PM

I have a Berk High Flow cat on my car; there is no exhaust smell. Unless it is a special race header, Comptech probably made the exhaust system modular so you can switch out the cat. Pull up a picture of a cat for an S2000 and compare to what it looks like under your car. If it looks the same then it should be able to bolt on.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by spets
I have a Berk High Flow cat on my car; there is no exhaust smell. Unless it is a special race header, Comptech probably made the exhaust system modular so you can switch out the cat. Pull up a picture of a cat for an S2000 and compare to what it looks like under your car. If it looks the same then it should be able to bolt on.
Thanks for the feedback on the Berk High Flow cat. I agree that it should fit. I took measurements of my cat while it was out to do more research. If it does not fit, I can modify it using the pipe & flanges from the ends of the old cat.

For some reason I still have a small oil leak problems. I can't figure it out. The problem is that I can't see much with the supercharger & brackets in the way. I think it might be the head gasket or the timing chain cover. I will get a drop of oil on the right bolt that holds down the timing chain tensioner. Everything above & around this area is dry. I have another leak that appears to be coming from the oil pan tap for the oil return line from the SC. I removed the AN fitting (3/4 NPT threads), removed the little Honda Bond that was there @ cleaned up the hole, then used Permatex silicone sealer & tightened it up. Today, five drops running down under the pan!

Now thinking it might be best to pull the engine & just rebuild it. It has 81,000 miles so maybe time for a new timing chain, valve job, rings, bearings, and of course a new gasket set!!

Thoughts on any of this stuff??? Any help/ideas/feedback is greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

take the snail off and let it run without it. see where oil is coming from. shouldn't take too long to remove it. if its leaking bad enough your part the ways there to removing the engine anyways.

also, me dustin and lorne know how to remove an engine with s/c really well. We havn't had to put it back yet tho..

Quick Reply: Oil Leak - Timing Chain Tensioner or VTech solenoid