Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

bouncy suspension on buddy clubs

Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bouncy suspension on buddy clubs

guys and girls,

I've been on my buddy club N+ coilovers for a couple months, and even though they ride great on smooth roads and the stance looks great, on any sort of uneven surface the rear end bounces all over the road. ive played around with the stiffness settings on the shock towers to some recommended settings for the N+ on the suspension threads, but it still seems to ride softer than stock on some surfaces and bounces at highway speeds.
i'm thinking they aren't preloaded enough, but i'm not sure how to fix it, since i had them installed instead of doing it myself (wish i had...). anyone know how to tell if this is the problem, or fix it? is this even the problem or could it be some third issue i haven't thought of? excuse my ignorance since i don't have very much experience with suspension tuning, but any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a lot of things. It has to do with the valving inside the strut matching the spring rate. I'm sure buddy club set them up right though. Do you know if whoever installed them messed with adjustment rings? Too much one way or the other could cause the springs not to be used properly, worst case, you could be riding on the bump stops. Preloading is another thing that should be done when installing suspension. I do it all all the cars I install suspension on.

Now, all coilovers will be a little more bouncy than stock suspension, but not all the time. It takes time to find the sweet spots.

If you want, you can bring the car by and I can take a look at them for you. I can even loosen the bolts and preload the suspension just to see if that could be it.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM

Ryan, try to contact Joe for some second opinions on the Buddy Club N+. I think they are a bit bouncy naturally, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like the shocks aren't properly tuned to the spring rates.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet it's a preload issue.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

Did you preload them?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 AM

if your rear end feels like its all over the road, kinda feels like you are driving a boat, then it might be your alignment.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 AM

I am having the same exact problem. The rear feels like it is boucing uneven and is all over the road. I already got the car aligned yet it still does it. I am very low to the ground and removed the preload in the rear. All corners measure even. If anybody else has experienced this and have found the solution please let me know!!

I first set my car 1 click from soft front and rear
I have also tried 3 clicks from soft front and 5 clicks from soft rear
f8 clicks r10 clicks
f10 clicks r10 clicks

It appears that the harder the dampening, the problem goes away but not fully as if i'm covering up the issue. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM

I'm using the D2 full coilover dampers. my car was doing the same too until i raised the rear end up. my front fenders are barely above the tires and the same goes for the rear end. but that helped me a lot i still get a little bounce to them but only when i'm on bumpy roads. but i have my stiffness at 32 in the rear and 24 on the fronts
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM

@ teamintertia

That bouncing of the suspension went away when I adjusted the dampening from searching a little deeper in the forums. It's weird but I actually did it backwards from you. Since buddyclub n+ are limited to 15 clicks. I set the front at 11 and the rear at 7. The car now drives way smoother (for a daily). There is no uneveness and I even drove on bad highways and the worst roads around dallas. The rebound is a lot more even as well. I'm less than a BIC lighter in height from the pinch welds on 35 series tires 18x9 and 10.

Great coilovers, I just didn't know how to dial these in properly. I dont know if you should try the same or if all coilovers are different but it totally changed the characteristics of the car. I owned an r33 gts before this and 240 kouki but with those, I had to do it kind of how you got yours done. Both R33 and the s14 has Tein's.

Quick Reply: bouncy suspension on buddy clubs