Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

Oil Leak - Timing Chain Tensioner or VTech solenoid

Old 09-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 403 Likes on 338 Posts

Bringing this thread back, for those of you that have a TCT leak even after replacing both o rings and the inspection plate gasket, as well as the vtec solenoid gasket. If the bolts are not torqued equally it will leak. I had a very small leak from the tct seam and neither TCT bolt was torqued the same, so I put a dab of oil on the bolt mounting face, got a 1/4 tq wrench in there and torqued both bolts to 96 in/lbs leak solved.

If one bolt is torqued more than the other it'll create a small clearance, torquing them equally forces the TCT to sit flush on it's machined mounting surface.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Bringing this thread back, for those of you that have a TCT leak even after replacing both o rings and the inspection plate gasket, as well as the vtec solenoid gasket. If the bolts are not torqued equally it will leak. I had a very small leak from the tct seam and neither TCT bolt was torqued the same, so I put a dab of oil on the bolt mounting face, got a 1/4 tq wrench in there and torqued both bolts to 96 in/lbs leak solved.

If one bolt is torqued more than the other it'll create a small clearance, torquing them equally forces the TCT to sit flush on it's machined mounting surface.
This is good, a lot of threads are still ongoing with people replacing all these parts, as well as vtec solenoid gaskets and oil sensor switch o-rings and still have leaks. I'm thinking that it's the torquing of these bolts that aren't being done right causing small leaks to occur. I'm going to copy your comment to the other threads as I think it's helpful for those who may have tried to do this without a proper torque wrench.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing this back yet again.

Noticed some oil leaks under the TCT and near the vtech solenoid valve areas. After cleaning
this area of oil and dirt, started her up and found oil leaking where the vtech solenoid
housing connects to the head. Since the solenoid valve is above the TCT, if it leaks, it will
drip down making the TCT appear to be leaking, so I decided to start with the part that
is on top and work my way down. Went to local Honda to pick up the part I was looking
for and for laughs I asked what would service price to fix this leak. $200+ so I said
meh, let me have the $20 part and I'll look about this myself. Picked up a
filter assy., spool valve (aka gasket and filter) and replaced. Idled her up and
now I see more if not the same amount of oil coming from the seam of the housing.
Took it apart again, but this time added a small amount of gasket seal(goop as i call it)
at the lower and the front facing seam as to avoid clogging the vtech
filter, torqued to spec, and let it sit overnight. I also torque wrenched the two TCT
cover bolts to spec JIC.

Ran it next day and its dry as a bone. At startup I only noticed a small amount
seep from the horizontal seam at the top of the vtech solenoid housing. Wiped that clean
and took her for a test drive. Tested vtech gradually and no issues. Returned home and
area is dry at the solenoid, and even under the TCT. I am thinking with a
cold engine on startup, the metals were not flush until they heated up to operating temperature,
expanding and sealed up. I noticed a lot of threads on oil leaking in these areas,
so I will do another check today if i have time.