Oklahoma S2000 Owners Oklahoma S2000 Community

Squiggles

Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squiggles

Where are you hiding all the S-curves in Oklahoma? I knew I'd be moving to a flat state from Cali and all, but...seriously...where are they?

I miss Highway 1 so much
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In the OKC area, we call them cloverleafs. There are some good roads in the eastern side of the state. Arkansas has some fantastic roads. You should keep an eye out for the S2Ki Boston Mountains Tour. There is one in the spring & another in the fall. A must do drive (50 cars max though).
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Road racer
In the OKC area, we call them cloverleafs. There are some good roads in the eastern side of the state. Arkansas has some fantastic roads. You should keep an eye out for the S2Ki Boston Mountains Tour. There is one in the spring & another in the fall. A must do drive (50 cars max though).
Yeah but cloverleafs amount to only short bits of fun and you usually get stuck behind an incompetent driver :\

I know I'm complaining, but tbh in 14 years of driving, in all the places I've ever lived...this is the most awful (for driving). The most un-proficient drivers, and truly dangerous road layouts. By the way, what in the world possessed city planners to make on/off lanes the same so that on-coming and off-going traffic have to pass through each other...wow, dangerous. Luckily 3 of the major exits in Norman are being reworked, with one being converted to a SPUI (not as exciting as a cloverleaf, but MUCH SAFER, much more efficient).

I guess I just miss socal. I was 2 hours drive from 4 major road course tracks, 6 hours drive from Laguna Seca, 1 hour away from high profile racing such as Formula Drift, IndyCar, American LeMans, CORR/TORC, and squiggles were right out my front door, less than 2 minutes drive.

While the drag and oval scene are obviously healthy here, that isn't my bag, so you guys are all I've got! I would like to meet before school starts (Jan 13th) before I'm sucked into the void of engineering school again.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Sorry, but you won't find all that here. Like I said, eastern OK and western AR is where the good stuff is. You can run your S at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit(cool layout but a bit rough)or the select SCCA events at the Sheriff's training track (check out BMW & Porsche clubs). Several people on the Oklahoma Facebook page do track days & Solo II events.

Or, you could come kart road racing (not sprint) racing. Same road courses as big cars. Around here, Hallett (Jennings, OK), Heartland Park Topeka, Lake Afton, KS (karts only, Eagles Canyon (Decature, TX), Motorsports Ranch (Cresson, TX), Texas World (College Station)and Motorsports Park Hastings (Hastings, NE). If you are willing to travel a bit, Mid Ohio, Barber, VIR, etc. www.kart.org or http://www.worldkarting.com/index.ph...-racing-series
Old 01-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Sorry, but you won't find all that here...
I figured as much, I'm just complaining. But thanks for all the tips. The PCA/BMW guys out in CA were always snooty, but they liked our money well enough to let us run w/ them. The most ridiculous time was when PCA board members in SOCAL wanted to ban all Japanese imports (derogatorily referred to as X-cars) from their auto-x events. Next meetup, word had gone out here on S2Ki and so we came out in force. Something like 30 porsches and nearly 20 S2000s. We were the most represented car and held 5 of the top 10 times that day on the track. That was an amazing auto-x track too, on the back straight the top end Porsche and top end s2k hit triple digits.

So, enough living in the past, I'd like to hit up Hallet or Sheriff's track. I need to get my car in shape, tranny needs a rebuild, and I believe the rear left bearing is toast. But I do most of my own work so I should be able to swing it. Would prefer having another s2k owner/enthusiast give me a hand though

Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Road racer pretty much covered it all. The roads here = embarrassing. The Oklahoma S2K community though = amazing! A few of the OKC guys come to mind who might have the balls to dig into a tranny, e.g. danielb18c and AFs2k, I don't think they frequent the forum though.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am planning on joining Hallet's High speed touring series this season. You should check it out.
http://www.hallettracing.net/
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 AM

I need to get my car in shape, tranny needs a rebuild, and I believe the rear left bearing is toast. But I do most of my own work so I should be able to swing it. Would prefer having another s2k owner/enthusiast give me a hand though
I know Daniel C has rebuilt some S2000 trannies. We have a great group here in OKC that is willing to help each other out. I recently put out a request to get some help installing my new top. Now Josh is coming over to give me a hand this Saturday. Pretty cool. I have helped others with sandblasting TCT's, valve lash, and retainers. We have a great group. Just join the "Oklahoma S2000 Community" on Facebook. Unfortunately, the Oklahoma S2Ki forum is not used that much since the FB group got started.

I am like you in that I am prepping my car to do some autocrosses/HST this year. Just installed Modifry's seat belt lock and made a baffel for my gas tank to prevent (hopefully!) fuel surge on the left turns. So, hope to see you at a meet or something.
Chris
Old 01-08-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JulieU
Road racer pretty much covered it all. The roads here = embarrassing. The Oklahoma S2K community though = amazing! A few of the OKC guys come to mind who might have the balls to dig into a tranny, e.g. danielb18c and AFs2k, I don't think they frequent the forum though.
Very good to know! I hope to hear from them. I have a service manual and being an engineering student I'm not afraid to tear into a machine. A tranny rebuild is new to me, but pulling engines and replacing parts is not. A rebuild of any kind has a lot more involved though, checking clearances and observing wear patterns and so forth, but I should be able to handle it. An extra set of experienced eyes would indeed be nice.

Originally Posted by J Schmidt
I am planning on joining Hallet's High speed touring series this season. You should check it out.
http://www.hallettracing.net/
Thanks for the heads up. I doubt I can get in on the season because my impreza has highest priority. (Finishing up a motor swap.) It's our 4-door and with a kid on the way, I gotta set priorities the right way But we'll see, keep your fingers crossed!

Just join the "Oklahoma S2000 Community" on Facebook. Unfortunately, the Oklahoma S2Ki forum is not used that much since the FB group got started.
Darn... I got off FB back in 2010 when I was working in the Intelligence Community. Sorry, I'll never be on FB again. Any chance you guys could post on here or maybe send me a text or something if you're going to be rolling around the OKC/Moore/Norman Metros?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

I usually try to post stuff both in the FB group and on here for non-Facebookers like yourself, but sure, PM me your phone # and e-mail address.

Quick Reply: Squiggles