Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Local trusted shops / tuners

Old 06-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was curious if anyone could recommend a Mobil mechanic. I have on 06' and I removed the cylinder head to replace intake and exhaust valves. I just got the head back from the machine shop and Just looking for someone to help me speed along the process. Obviously would compensate for the time. I'm in Hillsboro. Thanks for any help you guys may have. They can text or call me at 7604583511.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any recommended tire shops? Preferably in the Eugene area? Thought I'd ask before slapping tires on from Costco for my TL-S. Also, my right rear went flat on my S after some slow gravel drive Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://www.discounttire.com/store/or/eugene/s/1174
Old 08-07-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Portland Alternatives

Traditionally, I've handled most maintenance tasks on my vehicles. However, the S2000 I've taken ownership of has received annual dealer servicing since new, I'm tempted to do the same. I've inquired with Honda of Salem where Paul Nix is employed (as I've read many good things about Paul on this site). As it turns out, appointments with Paul can only be made on weekdays, which does not work out too well for me as I'm located in Portland.

Are there any other dealer-employed technicians that S2KI members have had good experiences with in the more recent past? If so, I'd appreciate a recommendation. If not, then I'll go ahead and add the S2000 to the list of vehicles I maintain on my own. Not a big deal either way. I just thought it might be nice to continue the lineage of dealer-based servicing for the sake of uniformity, but only if I can find a trustworthy technician.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you talking about a Honda franchise, or an independent shop? I trust the shop I use, AR Auto, far more than I trust the dealer. It's well documented on here (s2ki) that going to the dealer most likely isn't the best solution. Most buyers will perform their diligence and understand that the dealer maintained weighting doesn't necessarily apply to this car. This of course is no reflection of Paul - there's always exceptions to the rule!
The following users liked this post:
GuthNW (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Understood

Thanks arsenal. I was guessing that I might receive an answer along those lines. You make a good point regarding the typical buyer's profile for this car.

The shop you use certainly looks nice. More than likely I'll just use the money I save by handling the first wave of maintenance-related items myself and invest it in either a set of ramps to elevate the front end (for better floor jack access), or perhaps a low-profile floor jack instead (if I can find one that I'm happy with).

Much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW

More than likely I'll just use the money I save by handling the first wave of maintenance-related items myself and invest it in either a set of ramps to elevate the front end (for better floor jack access), or perhaps a low-profile floor jack instead (if I can find one that I'm happy with).

Much appreciated.
Sounds like a good idea to me I only use a shop on major items like a clutch change as it gets pricey quickly!
'
I've had the Harbor Freight low profile jack (blue and silver one) for a while now and it still works like a champ.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
Sounds like a good idea to me I only use a shop on major items like a clutch change as it gets pricey quickly!
'
I've had the Harbor Freight low profile jack (blue and silver one) for a while now and it still works like a champ.
Good to know. I picked up a nice hydraulic table lift for cheap off of craigslist that's used for my other Hondas.

Unfortunately I won't be nearly so spoiled when it comes to working on the S2000. Thanks for the tip on the HF jack.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 separate stories with the same dealership.

First, involving the my S2k. Kendall Honda in Eugene initially wanted to charge $60 for an oil change. I got them for $40 back in Orlando from the dealer. Kendall brought it down to $54 saying it was a "special" service for the S2k. I did it that one time so that they could do the inspection, which they recommended to change the serpentine belt. Changed that myself for ~$15. Also, just changed my oil with Mobil 1 Synthetic with the rebate deal going on.
OEM filter ($11-15) + $12 Mobil 1 oil (after rebate) = under $30. Never taking my S back there again.

Second, same dealer, but the Acura side. Brought my Type-S for the alignment after getting tires done by Costco. They aligned everything except the passenger rear citing the upper control arm couldn't be adjusted any more for the camber and needed an aftermarket kit (left it at -1.9). Got the $99 alignment refunded. They recommended my power steering fluid ($111) be changed and my rear bushings be replaced ($333). It's $115 per hour for labor.
I'm replacing the power steering fluid myself today (3 Honda PS fluid $18 + 3 Prestone fluid bottles and turkey baster $12 = $30)
Currently looking around local shops to do the bushings.
Suffice it to say, never doing service there again. The front guys are good, but the techs and service are terrible.

Edit:
So the 3G TLs are notorious for awful rear alignments and the toe is the only adjustable part according to the Acurazine folks. And surprisingly, the local shops quoted me over ~$100 more to do the bushings. I'm rather amazed by the high prices out here.

Last edited by mgfloCR; 08-22-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Follow up
GuthNW (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Traditionally, I've handled most maintenance tasks on my vehicles. However, the S2000 I've taken ownership of has received annual dealer servicing since new, I'm tempted to do the same. I've inquired with Honda of Salem where Paul Nix is employed (as I've read many good things about Paul on this site). As it turns out, appointments with Paul can only be made on weekdays, which does not work out too well for me as I'm located in Portland.

Are there any other dealer-employed technicians that S2KI members have had good experiences with in the more recent past? If so, I'd appreciate a recommendation. If not, then I'll go ahead and add the S2000 to the list of vehicles I maintain on my own. Not a big deal either way. I just thought it might be nice to continue the lineage of dealer-based servicing for the sake of uniformity, but only if I can find a trustworthy technician.

Thanks!
Well, allow me to toot my own horn for a moment. I own an S2000 and I'm an assistant manager at Ron Tonkin Acura. We have multiple S2000's come in for work every month. While, we're not the cheapest - we stand behind our work and only recommend items based upon need. Only the two NSX-qualified technicians work on the S2000 and I personally keep tabs on everything.

Even if you don't do any work through me, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.
GuthNW (08-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Local trusted shops / tuners