Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Moving to Oregon

Old 01-13-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moving to Oregon

Hey guys,
New to this forum but I have somewhat of a predicament. So I have a supercharged S2000 and so there is no way I will be able to pass emissions testing for the state. I should also clarify that I am moving to the Portland area. The only real solution I can really think of is keeping my registration through Montana "where I live now) because there is no emissions. Also I can just renew my tags online and have them mailed to me. Other than that I'm not really sure what else I can do because going back to stock would take so long and a lot more effort than it's worth.

Please let me know if you think there is a better way or if this could work (Its just a theory). Thanks for the advice and future help.

please let me know if you think this will work
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My car (in Washington) is not SC but I do run a Mugen competition ECU that will not pass testing along with various other minor changes. For every smog test I swap back to the OEM ECU and change anything that creates a check engine light to pass. This is a pain (takes me an hour normally) but just a hoop to jump through. All any of these tests do is poll the ECU for recent check engine alerts... there is no actual exhaust testing in most cases (only on some failures and retests).
Old 01-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena
My car (in Washington) is not SC but I do run a Mugen competition ECU that will not pass testing along with various other minor changes. For every smog test I swap back to the OEM ECU and change anything that creates a check engine light to pass. This is a pain (takes me an hour normally) but just a hoop to jump through. All any of these tests do is poll the ECU for recent check engine alerts... there is no actual exhaust testing in most cases (only on some failures and retests).
Oh, I didn't know that they just hooked up the ECU, I thought it was more of a walk around and they checked to make sure you had all the required equipment and also hooked up sensors to your exhaust. So do you just go into your ECU and tweek things from within to make sure your engine light never comes on than? As well as CEL?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My Mugen ECU does not allow any programming and even though it reports 'passed' to DOT computers it also reports 'inop' regarding emission systems. It was ok up until states got new software about 2007 and now fails everywhere. I have to reinstall my OEM ECU and have no CELs to pass.

I don't know how your ECU will be treated by the latest DOT software but if it reports as a stock ECU and no CELs it may be OK. The risk is that if it fails the re-test may involve using the exhaust sensors and you will fail from then on for sure.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena
My Mugen ECU does not allow any programming and even though it reports 'passed' to DOT computers it also reports 'inop' regarding emission systems. It was ok up until states got new software about 2007 and now fails everywhere. I have to reinstall my OEM ECU and have no CELs to pass.

I don't know how your ECU will be treated by the latest DOT software but if it reports as a stock ECU and no CELs it may be OK. The risk is that if it fails the re-test may involve using the exhaust sensors and you will fail from then on for sure.
Ok gotcha, thanks so much.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All they do is plug into your OBD II to make sure you do not have any check engine lights and that's it. No sniffer test, no visual test etc. Are you on a full standalone, piggy back etc? Prior to getting SP plates i was able to pass emissions with flash pro and a test pipe.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My car is supercharged with a reflashed stock ecu and I passed smog.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, you shouldn't have any problem