Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

Moving to Ottawa

Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Ottawa

So, Sometime around January I'm going to be moving from Dallas, TX to Ottawa. (Picked the perfect time of year, I know)... The fun part, of course, is that my S2k is my daily driver. I know winter tires are a must, but I figured I'd post here and see what everyone else suggested for the coming months. Also, ya know, to introduce myself.

Also, anyone selling some AP1 rims? Need something to put the snow tires on!
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM

People do it. Good snow tires are a must.

If you like your car don't do it. A winter of road brine and heat/cold cycling the interior bits will turn your car into a POS within a few seasons.

Get yourself a cheap daily driver. If you have family in TX leave the S with them and bring it up when the weather changes.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Bucket
So, Sometime around January I'm going to be moving from Dallas, TX to Ottawa. (Picked the perfect time of year, I know)... The fun part, of course, is that my S2k is my daily driver. I know winter tires are a must, but I figured I'd post here and see what everyone else suggested for the coming months. Also, ya know, to introduce myself.

Also, anyone selling some AP1 rims? Need something to put the snow tires on!
Man are you in for a weather change! especialy after this past summer. I grew up in Ottawa (25+ years driving). I always had a winter beater & parked my summer rides. If you have to drive the S 4 good snow tires are a must. The salt on the roads is a real killer for the under carriage. If you can I would plan on a winter beater for at least 4 months, if you love your S as much as I do it will last a lot longer. My 2 cents....

Living here in the RGV for the last five years I don't think I could go back other than for a visit.

Good luck in Ottawa.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Well, currently the finances don't contain enough for another car... However "daily driving" for me is only 6-10 days a month. I fly for a living and am off on trips for most of the month. I would like to keep driving it when it's not actively blizzard-ing, but it will be garage-kept while I'm gone.

Love is a bitch. But this is what happens when the girl of your dreams turns out to be canadian! (Hopefully I'll be dragging her back south in a year or two)
Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

A set of good winter tires and the ap1 rims will probably cost the same as a cheap winter beater imo. Chances are you will end up junking the beater at the end of the season but I would think it would be cheaper in the long run rather than subjecting your S to the mad amounts of salt on the road. Plus assuming you havent spent a lot of time driving on icey roads, RWD cars arent exactly easy to handle at times.

I like to sometimes take the S out on a REALLY nice day but always do a full spray and wipe of the wheel wells, wash down the undercarriage before I put it back. I also do it indoors but I do have a pretty big and heated garage to do it in.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Spotter

Oh and if you do end up needing some winter tires and rims, the southern ontario forums are pretty active. Also check out kijiji for some deals on tires and steelies/AP1s or a set of cheap rims
Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Plus assuming you havent spent a lot of time driving on icey roads, RWD cars arent exactly easy to handle at times.

No worries on that one. I grew up in the northeast, and spent 4 years hooning beaters in college in NH... I do appreciate the advice though... Might just use the g/f's car for most of the winter and save the S2k for the really nice days... Going to wring as much mileage out of it as I can before I leave TX, though!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 AM

Ended up deciding to keep the S in VA for the winter. Needed it at work anyways.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Spotter

Originally Posted by T-Bucket
Ended up deciding to keep the S in VA for the winter. Needed it at work anyways.
Virginia? Thought you were from Texas?

What did you end up getting instead or are yyou riding out the winter on foot
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM

I work in VA currently, so I'm keeping the S there to drive around while on reserve. Using the g/f's car in Ottawa for the winter!

Quick Reply: Moving to Ottawa