Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

Dyno done, with I/H/E

Old 09-30-2006, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are looking for engine management i could sell you my mugen ecu... For cheap...
Pm me if interested...
Old 10-01-2006, 05:45 AM

While I do see James' point about torque - It'd be nice to have more grunt down low. However, I'll definitely have to put a plug in for my Comptech SC. It has been running without a hitch for a year now, maintains the current naturally aspirated motorbike-engine like feel of the engine, provides a modest but welcome mid-range enhancement, and a whole lotta' high-end enhancement. Works quite well at the track, too. The 911 GT3 and Carrera S folks who I was following around the track at Calabogie the other day were not pleased that they were having a hard time pulling away from me!
Old 10-01-2006, 04:20 PM

Thanks Sebmour, but I'm not interested in a fixed function ECU. I don't have any of the Mugen parts and would want some programmablity to tune to cams, porting, compression changes or whatever.

Probably go for another dyno. Got the after exhaust dyno immediately after the change while switching from Shell 91 to Sunoco 94 gas. Pretty sure, now that I should have waited to go through a few tanks of gas before doing the dyno. The car feels stronger now and it looks like the longterm closed loop fuel trim adjustments also adjusts the open loop fuelling. Going to E10 with the flow increase of the exhaust must of confused the ECU.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:37 PM

I personally would trade high end for more midrange. Looking at my datalogs, I'm mostly run through 4k to 7k. Even on the track I find it "hard" to stay on the high cam most of the time. I would also like to get rid of that annoying "VTEC kick".
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dug this up to see what Steve's numbers were on Tapp's dyno.

Kenny, what are your numbers 30hp more?

Looks like I said I was going turbo but that was before I decided to just do it myself for cheap.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by wing,Jul 31 2008, 12:28 PM
I dug this up to see what Steve's numbers were on Tapp's dyno.

Kenny, what are your numbers 30hp more?

Looks like I said I was going turbo but that was before I decided to just do it myself for cheap.
If im not mistaken Kenny finished with 224whp @ 143 ft. lbs. tq. for a 30whp diff versus Steve's set up.

Kenny had his tuned with a Vafc, what did Steve use? Doesn;t sound like he had a piggy back or EMS of any type?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM

Annoying VTEC kick? that's why i bought mine.
sorry not a gearhead. just watching everyone's changes to see what's gonna put me sideways quicker. the 4.77 diff is f'in nuts. i need to keep my side glass clean cause i tend to have to look out it a lot. good thing she's only 13 feet long.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM

You know James you could of just asked. I have a bunch of dynos, it's not like we don't see each other every few weeks.

What year is Kenny's car, and what type of dyno was it and was it SAE corrected? You have to be careful when comparing such small hp differences.

2.2L have around 10 hp more power and respond better to tuning. Simple fuel tuning on a stock engine is around 5-10 hp, fuel with timing is 15-20 hp. I/H/E with fuel and timing tuning is around 30 hp.

The VTEC power surge is really a marketing thing. It makes you feel like you have a mini-turbo or something. If RPM cross over was properly set (it should be lower) the power delivery would be smooth with more power in the midrange. It's the difference between feeling faster and being faster. Also, on the racetrack, if you are full throttle around cornering, that kick can cause the backend to lose traction and spin you out. That's not fast either.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well Kenny should chime in.

But it was the same dyno (tapps) and it was on an '00 S2000 or maybe he has an '01 but whatever it's AP1.

Before tunning he was about 10hp less so 214hp that still seems like a lot more. Maybe not corrected?

Or is your car really weak?

I really should do a dyno, maybe one of those dyno days (missed one earlier this year).

I know I can hit 5th at Shannonville on the back straight now....
Old 07-31-2008, 03:33 PM

Kenny is at 224 WHP @ 148 ft.lbs. tq
Kenny says if you have any questions about the dyno or anything msg him

Quick Reply: Dyno done, with I/H/E