Ottawa S2000 Owners Ottawa Canada and area

The end result of the soft top take removal

Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wing,Nov 18 2008, 06:16 AM
Until we see you at the track (track or auto-x) it's a show car.

Or are you drag racing it -- you can't mean street racing I hope.
I gave up street racing long ago with my other beast!

It will be at the track at least 1-2 times this summer. My boys from toronto keep bothering me to go so i better show at least once to beat on it

Show car, dont hate that its pretty and functional as well!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 AM
BKL

your "rollcage" doesnt work very well, sorry to say that. So, does that mean your car is a showcar?

Just teasing ya. Drive safe.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 PM

so, anyone have engineering stats on the protection offered by:
stock OEM roll hoops and A pillar/(windshield frame)
stock OEM roll hoops, A pillar and 4-point roll bar like AP_ONE
stock OEM roll hoops, A pillar and 6-point roll cage?
i'm looking to do something i didn't think i would ever have to do, but after a couple of 360's at calabogie i think it's time to get real.
anyone know where i can find the engineering data that shows the difference between the applications listed above?
Old 11-18-2008, 05:25 PM
BKL

I doubt anyone here has engineering data. I've seen Fongu post some FEA on his rollbar design before, but that's about it.

And I'm sure there is no way one can get data from Honda from the OEM rollhoops legally. I know this because I worked for a company that did OEM parts design & analysis, and all those kind of data are kept very confidential.

If you know how to do FEA, you can just model the different designs and get pretty good results.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the aftermarket ones seem strong to me.... but what do I know.

The ones AP_ONE has look flimsy but apparently they use them in Japan, based on the angles they are mounted they don't seem as strong as the the one Fongu and I have ... but again I could be totally wrong.

There is a picture on the forum someplace (it's a long and drawn out search). Some guy flipped his S2000 at the track with a bar similar to Fongu's and Mine and his car was toast but that bar saved his life.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM
BKL

The Cusco ones are fine and they are stronger than the OEM hoops. However comparing to the custom made ones in North America (or the harddog bars), Cusco bars are weaker beacuase of their geometry and multiple linkage design. That is also the reason they are not SCCA or NASA approved.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM

thanks for the info. it reminded me that i have a friend in the auto industry, think Magna.
he may be able to discuss roll bar/cage design with their engineers to see what is a reasonable design and what is just overkill for my application.
i don't want to do a 6-point set-up if it doesn't provide a significant benefit. i'll end up banging my head getting in and out of the car with the top down. sometimes it takes me a while to catch on.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:10 PM
BKL

I am an engineer and the company I used to worked at also made roll cages for numerous race cars at a high end (GT3 cup, LeMans, etc)

I dont recommend a Cusco 6 point since it is dangerous on the street. If you are looking for rollover protection and not trying to conform to any racing rules, a rollbar is the way to go. HAve you looked at the harddog rollbar?

I would only weld in a custom full cage if I go racing, and by then, I would have to fabricate the cage according the the rules of the series that I am racing in. For example, a DTM touring car cage is NOT be legal in SCCA, etc.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 PM

i appreciate the info.
can you tell me why the 6-point roll cage is dangerous for street use?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM
BKL

well, just on the street you are not wearing a helmet or a harness. So in a collision, there is the likelihood of your head bashing into the cage which is extremely dangerous.

Quick Reply: The end result of the soft top take removal