Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Collectible Vehicle Emissions Exemption

Old 10-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

$900 a year? Hell I don't even pay that much for normal full coverage now. $50 month now. The only "benefit" I see here is for excluding the emissions requirement, but probably not if excludes you from doing your normal driving habits. Not like Emissions are hard to fool here though. If it was California I think there would be a larger practical desire to explore this.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Oh and the obvious benefit to this is being able to run whatever ECU you want and not have to worry about emissions.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:59 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Oh and the obvious benefit to this is being able to run whatever ECU you want and not have to worry about emissions.
Thats true, but technically you still could, if you don't mind plugging back in your stock ecu and swapping the stock injectors to take the test. Easy as that for some set ups, and a little more complicated for others depending.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Is that more or less work than never doing emissions again? Hmmmmm. Doing nothing and also never driving to the emissions place or swapping stuff, limping to emissions and back and swapping it back. Hm which is harder?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Is that more or less work than never doing emissions again? Hmmmmm. Doing nothing and also never driving to the emissions place or swapping stuff, limping to emissions and back and swapping it back. Hm which is harder?
From the sounds of the insurance, you will never be able to drive the damn car but to your local cars n coffee anyway after this declaration, so one half dozen or the other?
Old 11-22-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move to Carnation. None of my vehicles has been tested since '97.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:38 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Carnation?

Wow...don't I remember crossing through that town on my way to the ski slopes back in the 70's? It had like 500 people and was about a square mile, right?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping this old thread with some updates, since I just received my first registration using an emissions exemption.

I was due this year for an emissions test, being a 2007 MY that is due for a test in even years. I have had the car on an agreed value insurance policy with my carrier for two years now, just after the last emissions test. My particular policy does not place mileage or other similar restrictions, as I have other vehicles that are available for daily use. I did a lot of research into this process, and consulted with a few DoL representatives along the way. What I came away with was that there is still a bit of confusion between the RCW definitions of a Collector Car vs a Collectible Vehicle. A Collector Car is defined as a vehicle that is 30 years old, what we typically associate with having Collector Plates. The emissions exemption strictly deals with Collectible Vehicles as defined in RCW 46.04.123.

The process was super easy to do. I paid registration by mail, and included a signed copy of this form (https://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420810.pdf) since I meet all 3 criteria by my insurance and other vehicles I own. I would recommend this to anyone that also meets the same criteria, and has a need to be emissions exempt either for tuning or other reasons. Should be a relatively painless process to repeat every other registration cycle.

Any questions on this just let me know!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Community Organizer

^^^Interesting. The trick I guess is if you want to pay the higher rates for specialty insurance and then avoid driving the car as much as you might like? Mileage per year is?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can drive as much as I like, as my carrier does not impose any mileage restrictions. Not that it gets out all that often anyway lol!

My my insurance on the S2000 is a fraction of regular policies. Last year I paid maybe $500 on the year. But I also have two other cars, the house and an umbrella policy so ymmv of course. For my policy the key thing was having another car designated as the daily driver. I can and do still drive the S to work on nice days. The other major benefit of a stated value policy is that if anything did go bad (knock on wood), you’re paid at the agreed value including mods, and not actual cash value which can be much much lower. That’s probably the main reason to go to this type of policy, the emissions exemption is just a nice benefit.

Separate from that, I do also take out trackday policies that last a day or the weekend for events.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 10-24-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Collectible Vehicle Emissions Exemption