Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

My S2000. First Year Impressions.

Old 11-27-2002, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My S2000. First Year Impressions.

My S2000. One year later. Below are some observations I have made over the past year of ownership. This post is not intended to be anything other than my opinion. Post replies at will, but I will not respond to flames. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, and a lot of you probably won't. That's fine. I just thought you would be interested in my impressions.

1. Is the S2000 the finest sports car ever made? No.

2. Is the S2000 the finest sports car ever made in the $30,000 - $35,000 price range? Yes.

3. Is it frustrating to drive an automobile who's badge historically represents an economically reliable grocery-getter? Yes. Why? Because people simply do not understand what it is that you are driving. Here's a great story to illustrate my point: I was over at my brother's house to celebrate my mother's 70th birthday. You would figure that this day would be a wonderfully happy celebration of my mother's continued good health and happiness. Well, it was. Unfortunately, it also turned into an ugly situation that I am running into more and more often when I park my car near a group of uniformed people. Needing to defend it. Let me give you a little background. My brother drives a Porsche Boxster. This was the first time that we had both brought our cars over at the same time to show the family, and figured that it would be a lot of fun. For the most part, it was. Until a friend of the family showed up. He is a sweet old man who is on his last legs, but is still relatively coherent. At the end of the day we were walking outside to say goodbye to everyone when he spotted my S and my brother's Boxster. He immediately took to my car, exclaiming "Wow! Now that's a beautiful car!" But here comes the rub; as soon as he sees the Honda emblem, what do you think he says? 'Oh, never mind, it's just a Honda..." and moves on to the Porsche. I tried explain to him that my car is far superior in performance and power to the Porsche, but once he saw that emblem, it was the end of his thought process. End of story. I was so perplexed by that statement because that pretty much sums up the issues that we must deal with when owning this vehicle. Misunderstanding. We don't have the fancy badge, we don't get the respect. (I don't count the awe of 16 to 24 year olds who dream of owning a "$30,000 vehicle" as respect). I spend too much time pounding Porsches, BMW's, Audi's, etc. into the ground on my local highways in hopes that someday our little filly will get some sort of recognition from something other than the leading car magazines. Sigh. Still, even after all of this I refuse to cover up my Honda symbols with anything other than the gleaming chrome symbol that the car came with. I will put up with the disrespect and misunderstanding until (hopefully) a day of understanding will come.

4. Would I own a Ferrari over an S2000? Let's be serious for a moment. Of course I would. The S2000 is the finest sports car that I can afford right now. If I had the chance to own a F1 360 Modena Spider, I would not hesitate for a moment. If anyone says any different, they are just as uniformed as the old man in the story above. People ask me if I love my car. I do. I love it more than any other material possession I have ever owned, sans my circa 1990 Kramer Night Swan guitar (my first material love). But does this mean that I should abandoned the possibility of owning another sports car in the future that I may love even more? Of course not. That would be nonsense. But when I bring up the fact that I love Ferrari's as much as I love my S2000, I have, on more than one occasion, received disparaging looks or remarks after such statements. Even from fellow S2000 owners! Don't be so narrow minded and short-sighted. I love being in the S2000 club because we AREN'T elitists. See your future in something better. This is a philosophy I use in my life as well as in my automobile ownership.

Moving on.....

5. Is the plastic rear-window a pain in the ass? No. One year later with regular maintenance and a little TLC mine remains crystal clear.

6. Do I lose control of the car on a regular basis as it seems is the case in so many instances on this board? No. I know how to drive a car. This the first high-performance car that I have ever owned, and have never lost real control of it (unless it was intentional of course...). Drive it like you always drive with any other vehicle you have owned. Learn what it's capable of and it's limitations. Just like you would when you drive that brand new Taurus off the car lot.

7. Do I hate owners of Porsche Boxsters? No. The owners I have met are actually for the most part really nice people (my brother included). In fact, I don't hate anyone who drives another brand of roadster. However, If they are foolish enough to challenge me, I do my part to put them in their place. But I certainly would never hate them or their vehicles. Just look at the facts folks. Our car is better on paper, period. And I guarantee you that whoever is challenging you on that warm sunny day in wherever, America, knows it too.

8. Is our car beautiful? Yes. It attracts so much attention sometimes that it's embarrassing. Probably one of the most beautiful cars ever designed.

So, what's my point? Owning the S2000 is a special experience. You need to be a special person to own it. It's akin to being the first person to wear snow shoes, or eat a raw oyster, or laugh at Benny Hill (god help me). People are going to make fun of you at first, but eventually with a little luck, they'll come around to your way of thinking.

It just takes a little patience.

Even if they don't, who gives a rat's ass. I've owned this car for over a year, and it still takes me by surprise every now and then..... ;-)

Thanks for reading,

-Vincent
Old 11-27-2002, 06:14 AM

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,396 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vincent Vega

1. Is the S2000 the finest sports car ever made? No.

2. Is the S2000 the finest sports car ever made in the $30,000 - $35,000 price range? Yes.

Old 11-27-2002, 08:46 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

hehe...

Do you really care if an old man disses your car because of the badge? I like the fact that most people don't know what the hell it is we're driving. Let them remain blissfully ignorant.

Is our car worthy of worship? Ask the guy in the turbo V8 Lotus Esprit or the multiple M3's that Jerry passed at Thunderhill last week!

I'm having too much fun to worry about it. I love my car - period. Is it perfect? Almost. :-)

my .02
Old 11-27-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Vincent Vega

People are going to make fun of you at first, but eventually with a little luck, they'll come around to your way of thinking.

It just takes a little patience.

Even if they don't, who gives a rat's ass. I've owned this car for over a year, and it still takes me by surprise every now and then..... ;-)
Interesting post, well thought out. Thanks for sharing it.

I think the key part is what I quoted above. If poeple are interested and have an open mind, let 'em know about the car. But don't let it bother you if their preconceptions get in the way; that's their problem. You don't have to prove anything. Although sometimes it's fun to do so!

Ted
Old 11-27-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tedster
[B]

Interesting post, well thought out. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MSRS2K
[B]

Gina, I use a Maguiar's product for cleaning clear plastic surfaces call "Mirror Shine" (or something similar) every time I wash the car (bout once a month).
Old 11-27-2002, 01:14 PM

Speaking of which, the sun is out! I think I will go wash my car. And of course pay no attention to the back window cuz mine is glass
Old 11-27-2002, 01:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike'nSeattle
[B]Speaking of which, the sun is out!
Old 11-27-2002, 01:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike'nSeattle
[B]Speaking of which, the sun is out!
Old 11-27-2002, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by brantshali

That's what I like to see...someone that appreciates that a sunny day is for getting out and washing their car rather than dropping the top and DRIVING it!!
Listen here little beeotch!!! I have been driving it with the top down all day. I do not care if people look at me like I am nuts considering it is 40 degrees out. Me thinks they are just jealous :-)

Speaking of nice weather, it is a four day weekend of sun! Anybody have a cruise going on to anywhere???

Quick Reply: My S2000. First Year Impressions.