Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

New to area - need mechanic suggestion

Old 03-31-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to area - need mechanic suggestion

Hello everyone. So, I'm new to Seattle but a longtime s2ki member. I have an old 2001 s2000 beater that I commute with. Right as the car was being put on the transporter for my move here, I noticed that my original OEM factory radiator starting slowly steaming from a small crack in the top plastic housing. Perfect timing of course. Unfortunately, I have no tools, no access to any jacks and no access to any fluid pans to do any of the work as all my stuff is still on the east coast.

Can someone suggest a shop near Downtown Seattle / Belltown to swap out the radiator? I have the radiator and the Honda fluid. I don't have any ability to be able to do this myself.

Hopefully I can get this back on the road soon. If you see a black s2000 with Connecticut plates... that's me and happy I'm back on the road.

Thanks!
Steve
Old 04-01-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, welcome to the Pacific NW. From what i understand, that is the common leak point where the plastic meets aluminum. I had the same leak on my 2000 model. Are you really sure you do not want to do this yourself? I am not a certified mechanic, but I did mine a few years ago by myself in about 3 hours without lifting the car. If you are adamant about taking it to a mechanic, I have seen a Japanese auto (closest) and a Goodyear in the Belltown area, but i have never taken my ride to them. If anyone has any better suggestions, please chime in. Good luck getting your car repaired.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jetfire, I know it's not rocket science to swap a radiator. I just didn't have the tools (wrenches, etc) and pretty sure the apartment complex where I'm staying has rules around working on cars in the garage. When I called shops around me, I heard similar stories about "Washington state has strict laws around customer supplied parts" so they won't take on the work. Don't know if it's BS but 4 of the 5 shops I spoke to said something similar when I told them I had the parts. So, I'm going to have to do it in my garage at night. I ordered cheapo tools from Amazon which should be delivered today. Gotta love Amazon Prime. Hopefully I'll be back on the road soon. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, i have been in exactly the same situation as you. I was surprised as well when mechanics on the east coast used parts i bought, but not here. What i would recommend to you if you have not already have this covered, is to get new worm drives for the large radiator hoses as they are much easier for installation than what may already be installed. Oh, and some insulation to put between the top of your radiator and your chassis to help support it from bouncing around. Just trying to help. Good luck, and see you on the road.