Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Notso New newbie... (long time lurker)

Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notso New newbie... (long time lurker)

Hey all,

I've been watching for a long time and checking the board, searching the archives etc.. and am coming over from the Audiworld boards, but wanted to at least "introduce" myself and see about meeting/discussing the S2K and learning more about the car as I'm in the market for one this year and figured this might be the best way to go about doing my "research."

Currently an Audi guy, have been for the past 5 cars, last 2 have been S4's but realized that you can't argue with Physics (4500lbs & 380+ hp is good but not efficient on the track.)

I'm a volunteer instructor for BMW, Porsche & Audi here in the NW and usually do quite a few Track events at PRI,PIR, T-hill, Bremerton & going to Spokane in May (next month).

Looking at 2004 S2K as a "plan b" car and most likely a track car due to weight, balance, steering sensitivity etc...

I've read about the taco tuesdays etc.. and just wanted to see when the next meet would be (not during the work day) to catch up and pick the brains of the knowledgable about the car, issues, concerns and recent softness of the market for S2k's.

Really excited about hopping into one later this year but will most likely keep the S4.

Plenty more to add, but will cut it off for now. I'm in DT Seattle, (QA) so if anyone is up for a local meet or coffee/beer etc.. that'd be great. Looking forward to it and thanks, (p.s. coming from another board I don't have all the idieosyncratics worked out yet, so bear with me if I make a couple mistakes on the "posting of pics, pm's and the like."

hell i haven't even figured out how to add a pic yet... sigh....

Thanks,

David.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:55 AM

welcome, man. the s4's nice, but yeah, a pig of a car.

my prediction is you'll end up driving the s2000 a lot more than the s4.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We are still meeting 6:30pm Tuesday's at the Redmond Azteca on 156th ST. If you can make it over I'm sure that you'll find brains to pick!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:25 AM

heh.. thanks, yeah the S4 is amazing in every aspect, but this guy is looking for the purpose built car o' fun....

thanks for the welcome and I look forward to meeting up with ya'll at some point.

I'd not question for a second that I'd drive the s2k more... but I've been bitten by the bug and have it bad for one.....

p.s. if you can aide me on how to post a pic that'd be cool or if there's something I'm missing on how to, TIA.

d
Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you post a thread reply there are a number of buttons just above the text box.

Click the one labeled "IMG".
Old 04-19-2005, 09:44 AM

what i like about the s4

-practical
-torquey
-interior's tidy

what i don't like about the b5 s4

-way too heavy (eats tires/brake pads)
-no faith in its reliability
-uninspiring looks
-horrible gearbox even with short shifter

hardly amazing in every way
Old 04-19-2005, 09:58 AM

S2000 + and -

+

-light
-nimble
-drop top
-stiff
-raw everything

_

-stiff
-raw everything (impractical for dd for most)
-high insurance
-decently fast in the straights

all in all, makes up for a FUN car to drive drive drive.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 AM

I guess I should clarify

B5 s4 = 2.7 L twin turbo = 250 hp, then add exhaust, chip = 325 hp /370ft lbs.

I would completely agree with you on the B5 as I had mine (an o1) and added wheels tires, coilovers, exhaust, bbk, the "usual" suspects to get it to where I wanted.

the b6 S4 avant (current car) = 4.2 L 40 valve V8 340 hp, then add exhaust, intake and = 370 and change for hp. much improved suspension, brakes shifter (essentially everything on teh b5 that was "in need of improvement" the b6 has sure it's heavy *trust me I know!* I wish I had a fricken tire sponsorship during HDPE's but at 3875 plus driver + tank o' gas etc...it's north of 4k and that although very fun doesn't bode well at the track, but it's fun as a "wagon" to have guys in other cars go, WTF? it's a wagon right. but anyway....

thanks for the + & - on the S2K, I guess it's worth a call to the ins. to see how bad the ins. would be. but everything else is what I'd like to have as a plan b car, don't get me wrong I still love the S4, but not for the track/HDPE stuff. (barring a free tire sponsorship (enter sarcasm )....

much appreciated!

Thanks for the insight! I wish i could make it today, but no shot. but def. next week.

David.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:21 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

.... fly-by-wire throttle SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:30 AM

Yes yes indeed, completely agree!

Especially in the 04's Audi really changed the DBW settings and it has caused some to think it's a bit much.

I surely miss the days of my GSR (long time ago) 98 but yeah. I'm with you.

Hence that's why I'm here and why I'm looking at an S2k!

DBW =

Quick Reply: Notso New newbie... (long time lurker)