Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Shop for supercharger install and/or tuning

Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop for supercharger install and/or tuning

I am toying with the idea of getting a supercharger for my 2006. Most likely would be once of the SoS kits.

What places do people recommend for doing the install and/or tuning? Greater Seattle area (specifically, I'm in Auburn.) And would the install itself be something I could do without too much issue? I'm comfortable with routine maintenance and most stuff that doesn't involve removing engine or trans.

Also, any thoughts on the SoS kits or which superchargers to use specifically? (I probably should ask this in the FI forum as well, I realize.)

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

SOS is right at the top of the list for performance and reliability. Id highly recommend anyone go with that kit. The optional Novi1200 blower for like another $60 is well worth the added power should you be interested in running a liberal amount of boost 10psi +. Most find that blower a selling point if you sell the kit down the road as well. These kits take the average skilled DIY wrenchers a weekend to install. As far as tuners, I couldn't give you any firm recommendations. But I know Bob at Drift office is in Auburn, where we have done some club dyno days in the past. He struck me as competent. Not sure if anyone would vouch for him or not. Jason at PSI is held in pretty high regard though, but is down in Portland area.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

What performance do you have in mind or are you just looking for a number to impress your buddies? $4000 plus another $1000 on the dyno appears to be the entry fee for this change.

Put a high flow cat and and better flowing exhaust on the car and get a Gernby FlashPro tune for now. This will increase mid-range power and acceleration. If you decide to supercharge later none of this is really wasted or lost. We know these cars will withstand supercharging but it does strain the entire drive-train and decreases reliability.

-- Chuck
Old 07-19-2017, 08:15 AM

I don't track the car, and I don't launch the car, and none of that would change with the addition of a supercharger. So with these assumptions would I really be overly stressing the drivetrain or decreasing reliability?

My reason for doing this is to get the car to what I believe to be the "correct" power level for my own enjoyment. I'm not concerned with meeting a specific horsepower figure, but from my intuition, 350-400hp seems like a good starting point for this. But, I do value reliability, and so I definitely want to take that into account.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

10psi 350whp roughly is where the car really starts to wake up with the supercharger, its also reliable. 400whp+ you inevitably are going to start shortening the life of the trans and diff, no hard rule, but I've been through a few. Again aggressive driving habits will also speed this up.
The following users liked this post:
gomboy86 (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're in the south sound, install goto under pressure racing development, they are good from what i hear, planning to go there myself. Also in the south sound for tuning and parts is Speed Factory.

I dont know any for up north. Good luck. I was going to go the SC route, but i decided i'm not going to track this s2k, so i'm going turbo. SC s2ks are fun though in the canyons, or on the track/autox.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Iniamyen
I don't track the car, and I don't launch the car, and none of that would change with the addition of a supercharger. So with these assumptions would I really be overly stressing the drivetrain or decreasing reliability?

My reason for doing this is to get the car to what I believe to be the "correct" power level for my own enjoyment. I'm not concerned with meeting a specific horsepower figure, but from my intuition, 350-400hp seems like a good starting point for this. But, I do value reliability, and so I definitely want to take that into account.
with stock engine with a SC kit (for kraftwerks), you can tune it and get in the 380 to 420 range (ap1), a little more if you have an ap2. I dont know about the SoS kit cause i haven't had any experience with it. But i've seen a couple of my friends dynos with the kw kit and pretty much stock everything else and they get about 380whp to 400whp. Both of them have gone through at least 1 rear diff and one has just dropped in a used trans with about 80k miles in it after his first tranny went and he drives the shit out of his SC s2k, the other one doesn't drive it as hard, except when he's at autox.

i'm pretty new to FI myself, but if you're going FI, you should really have a spare trans and rear diff, if you find a really good deal. I got a rear diff with 80k miles on it for free after buying someone's oem exhaust. just gotta find the deals.

you'll be fine though.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 PM

Wondering if this ever came to fruition? Very interested!
Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

My I know of several folks who would never buy a car that had been super- or turbocharged (other than factory). I'm one. Despite seller assurances these just scream "boy racer" (AKA extreme abuse).

Do it for your own enjoyment but don't count on getting anything out of it when you sell. And all our cars eventually get sold (sometimes by our widows)

I've obviously considered and rejected this. I'll just echo my comments from July. The 2006 and later cars can be Gernby FlashPro tuned for a surprising amount of mid range power which suits my purposes wonderfully.

-- Chuck
Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 AM

Its pretty easy to install yourself, you sound mechanically inclined enough to do it. Id recommend Agile Concepts in Bellingham. He sponsored last year's ImportMeet at Acura of Lynnwood. Factory certified NSX tech/mast Honda tech. Guy's a mad scientist. Nobody better. If you don't go with him, at least give him a call and hear what his recommendations and you'll see what Im talking about. ImportMeet did a little article about him installing a clutch for an S2000. (360) 927-9256. He owns an NSX, 2 ITRs and 2 EGs, one of which is probably the fastest in WA. Agile is on FB too.