Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Should I change my S2K for a Mini Cooper S?

Old 06-17-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I change my S2K for a Mini Cooper S?

Saturday, I went down to the Mini showroom on Hamilton, Vancouver and took a test drive in a new Mini Cooper (turbo) 'S'. This is one hot car! Now I'm seriously wondering if I should exchange my S2K for one. With a few neat options, it's about $40K out the door - but at least there's no markup. I was very impressed with the low-end torque; my guess is that it is much quicker from 15 to 80 kph than the S2K for a normal street start. (If you want to burn rubber on the S2K, then it just might be faster.)

I hate to think about turning in my beautiful white S2K, but it's almost three years old now, and there are now a few new sporty cars on the road (or coming out soon) with fairly impressive looks and performance that I like, a lot. The Mini is just one of them. If you haven't tried one yet, check out the 7 or 8 versions they have in the showroom - but do test drive the 'S' - you'll be pretty amazed how quick this thing is. The question is - is it worth swapping my S2K for?
Old 06-17-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Huh? DarrylBug has driven both, I'll let her chime in here.

This sounds almost as crazy as trading in your S2000 for a PT Cruiser.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:50 AM

Wow, they seem like such different cars. I love my S2K, but I've only had it for a few months. I don't know, the mini doesn't come in a convertible model??? I know the mini get a lot of looks, but so did the new bugs when they came out and now they seem to be everywhere. I have heard amazing things about the mini, but this was similar to the hype surrounding the new bugs, and I think some of the hype might just be part of the nostalgia aspect. Personally, I would stick with the S2K...
Old 06-17-2002, 12:12 PM

Call it a complex, but I would never want to be seen cruising in a Mini Cooper.

I take it you're an older gentleman where securing ones manhood is pretty much a "historical" subject?
Old 06-17-2002, 02:09 PM

Daryl and I both drove a new MINI Cooper S. It's pretty nice, but performance-wise not in the same league as the S2000. Closer to her Integra GS-R. It's got pretty similar weight and horsepwer to the 'Teg. Lot's of safety, luxury, and gee-whiz features on the MINI, like the 6 airbags, giant sunroof, freaky dash and gauges, trip computer, traction control, heated everything, etc. That's part of what makes it so heavy.

Now her classic Mini, that baby weights 1200 pounds and has maybe 90+ horsepower. That's a closer match to the S2000 in power/weight ratio, and it handles better than the new MINI 'cause it's lower and lighter. She's keeping the classic and the 'Teg, and gave up her spot on the waiting list for a new Cooper S.

geppetto, I think your comment about the new Bug is right on - today the new MINI is pretty rare and gets a lot of looks, but in a year there'll be 20,000 of them, in two years 40,000+ in North America.

And keep in mind the dealer situation. There's one (1) dealer for Washinton, one for Oregon. I don't know about B.C., but probably not much choice of where to buy or get warranty service done.

Ted
Old 06-17-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a great looking little car, but have a read here. A lot of unhappy owners at the moment by the look of it!

http://www.mini2.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=16

Sounds like it leaves a lot to be desired unless they they get these problems sorted out!
Old 06-17-2002, 04:56 PM

Do they have Dr. Phil in Canada???? If not I will quote him for you....

" Son, WHAT are you thinking!!!!!!!!"

Cheers!
Old 06-17-2002, 05:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by jerrypeterson
This sounds almost as crazy as trading in your S2000 for a PT Cruiser.
HEY! I resemble that remark!

Actually, the Mini S might be the only car I would consider getting rid of the S2000 for but not right now.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:22 PM

How did the Milkman beat the S2k home?
Old 06-17-2002, 05:36 PM

I really liked the little flag designations on the post in the Mini discussion site...you can see the global response right away ( MAYBE this is because I am still in World Cup Euphoria and I havent had much sleep this month GO USA GO!!!!!.....it is great to see people so into their brand of car.

Now back to the Milktruck.......

Quick Reply: Should I change my S2K for a Mini Cooper S?