Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Who or where for rebuilding our motors?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who or where for rebuilding our motors?

So im looking to get my motor rebuilt, with new bearings, rings, honed, resurface the block/head, etc. who do or where would you guys recommend for this? ive built a few motors in the past myself, but i have no time for this anymore so i just want to get this quickly done right and over with without taking it to one machine shop to another. let me know.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by jiro_project
So im looking to get my motor rebuilt, with new bearings, rings, honed, resurface the block/head, etc. who do or where would you guys recommend for this? ive built a few motors in the past myself, but i have no time for this anymore so i just want to get this quickly done right and over with without taking it to one machine shop to another. let me know.
Quickly and done right in this business don’t seem to go together I have found. The guys that are good and sought after are usually very busy this time of year. If you want it done Right, Speed Factory builds Honda race motors and are more then capable of reconditioning a stock F20/22. You want to talk with Kevin, he is the engine builder at the shop.

Most any shop will have to order parts and will have customers in front of you, expect no sooner then a month turn around time and 2-3 months isnt far off typical. If that isnt realistic for you, you may consider just picking up a lower mileage used motor and paying someone to drop it in. Much quicker and usually cheaper after all said and done vs a rebuild anyway.

Link to speed Factory

http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/
Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Quickly and done right in this business don’t seem to go together I have found.
Quick, Good, Cheap. Pick two.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Just so you guys know. Speed factory send most of there blocks to D and G machine shop in the south end.
I know this because i had them fix a couple of my head. and was talking to the owner and it kinda came out that they do most of speed factory work and D and G is a very good machine shop i would take my motor there and not anywhere else there price is very good too.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by My_S2000
Just so you guys know. Speed factory send most of there blocks to D and G machine shop in the south end.
I know this because i had them fix a couple of my head. and was talking to the owner and it kinda came out that they do most of speed factory work and D and G is a very good machine shop i would take my motor there and not anywhere else there price is very good too.
DG is a machine shop, typically they stick to the finite machining under the specs/guidelines of what ever the speed shop is asking for. Keven at Speed factory is the brains behind the operation and does the assembly, as in typical with most speed shops. DG likely can assemble motors, but I wouldn't trust them solely to build and assemble my F motor. I leave it to guys like Speed Factory which specialize in only Honda Motors and stand behind the work if DG screws something up, because Speed Factory is employing their specialty service. Keven will consult with you and make recommendations based on his knowledge of the Honda motor and your requirements/use. A generic machine shop that deals in machine work for any motor couldn't possibly be expected to give you that level of service or confidence. Sometimes the middle man is worth paying for.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:39 PM

DG has been around for over 30-40 years and they built some amazing drag cars that they also track too. And your are tell me they don't know how to assemble a f20 or f22. To where speed factory has only been in the game for about a ten years and I know Ricky before he started the shop up and Ricky is the person that does most of the fab work there and he is really smart too. But come on now Dale from DG is a really smart guy when it comes to building motors I would go to him and ask for his advise before anyone else. Dale knows a lot more then you think Its his job bro.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This engine has been on the market seemingly forever..I wonder if they'd take $2,500 or less depending on how well it runs (not sure if there's a way to test the engine before buying?) instead of $3,500.. It's an AP2 motor from a wrecked '05 S2000.

http://seattle.craig...3860836522.html
http://seattle.craig...3860836197.html