Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Shooting in RAW mode

Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah got it sorted Mocky....

Was messing around with the settings and it was on RAW+L so just switched it to RAW...

Total newbie stuff.....
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

How are you doing with the RAW files? Which program are you using to edit? Do you have previous experience using editing programs?

I've been taking photos as a hobby for a few years. I briefly tried shooting in RAW, but just don't have the time to learn a decent processing program, so I went back to shooting in JPEG. My pics are mostly shared with family and friends, and those that I have had printed, again for myself, family and friends are decent, even a 16 x 20 print. I understand where those with more knowledge are coming from and regarding the benefits of shooting RAW, I'm just not there yet.

I guess my point is, don't overwhelm yourself trying to learn it all at once.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
How are you doing with the RAW files? Which program are you using to edit? Do you have previous experience using editing programs?

I've been taking photos as a hobby for a few years. I briefly tried shooting in RAW, but just don't have the time to learn a decent processing program, so I went back to shooting in JPEG. My pics are mostly shared with family and friends, and those that I have had printed, again for myself, family and friends are decent, even a 16 x 20 print. I understand where those with more knowledge are coming from and regarding the benefits of shooting RAW, I'm just not there yet.

Doing basically the same myself in taking pictures for a hobby and trying to learn as you go. Haven't went near any editing programmes yet as I don't even know where to start on that point let alone knowing what to do to edit them light wise and stuff like that. Am toying with the idea of getting adobe lightroom as I've heard that it's probably the easiest to use but do that your point on board....I'm still on a starter lens also. 18 - 55 that came with the camera.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by jonner
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1411997702' post='23349076

Doing basically the same myself in taking pictures for a hobby and trying to learn as you go. Haven't went near any editing programmes yet as I don't even know where to start on that point let alone knowing what to do to edit them light wise and stuff like that. Am toying with the idea of getting adobe lightroom as I've heard that it's probably the easiest to use but do that your point on board....I'm still on a starter lens also. 18 - 55 that came with the camera.
I think most anyone here will tell you composition is the first thing to work on. Make sure there are no distractions in the pic, light posts, port a potties, and the like.

Though the more advanced guys may you could try Google Picasa for basic edits. After any edits, remember to Save as, vs save, so you still have your original photo. Photo Scape is another free program. That one has a few more options including a clone tool which can come in handy.

Have fun. When you're ready move on to the next editing program. I took a free trial of light room and was totally lost.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by jonner' timestamp='1412069988' post='23350383
[quote name='Lainey' timestamp='1411997702' post='23349076']

I think most anyone here will tell you composition is the first thing to work on. Make sure there are no distractions in the pic, light posts, port a potties, and the like.

Though the more advanced guys may you could try Google Picasa for basic edits. After any edits, remember to Save as, vs save, so you still have your original photo. Photo Scape is another free program. That one has a few more options including a clone tool which can come in handy.

Have fun. When you're ready move on to the next editing program. I took a free trial of light room and was totally lost.
[/quote]

Cheers for the help....