Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Amateur questions on shooting with an SLR

Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amateur questions on shooting with an SLR

I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XTi with the 18-55 kit lens expecting to shoot nice pictures, however they are not coming out as sharp as I want them to be. My pictures look dull as if they're from a point and shoot. Is this because of the lens or is it my skills/settings on the camera?

Bear in mind that I took most of my shots in auto landscape mode and some in manual. Also, I'm shooting in JPEG, will shooting in RAW give me what I want? Here's a link to what I've been shooting.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jdmkevin/Miscellaneous

This is a good example of what I want my pictures to look like. Will adding a CP help?

I'm new to the SLR world and criticisms are very welcome. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:20 PM

i'm just starting up also on SLR with an XT. for the few weeks i've used mine, i've had to postprocess most images. also, i suggest sticking to RAW format. JPEG is a compressed format. when shooting RAW, you basically retain all data from the image sensor.. like a digital negative.

i didn't like how my shots were comin' out also when i first got my slr. but the major thing i've learned from it is knowing how to compose your shot.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the D-SLR world - it is a cool place!

My suggestions: start by picking up a book called "The Digital Photography Book: How to make your photos look like the pros!" by Scott Kelby (About $15 on Amazon). It is the best beginners book I've ever seen.

Forget about RAW (for now) - unless you already are comfortable with a Photoshop-like program. Learning photography is tough enough without having to learn computer programs.

You should be concentrating on aperture and shutter speed. Learn those to help you better compose an image. You should also be paying attention to light - at all times. Even when you don't have a camera, just think to yourself what your settings might be in any light condition you find yourself in during the course of the day.

Remember that your standards are going to take time to get to. Don't be upset if you continuously hit sub-par results (based on your standards) - just keep on practicing
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 AM

hey, congrats on the new camera. from the pics you put up online, none of those seem to be very good situations to take pics.

First, your subjects are very dark. from a beginner's perspective it's much harder to gauge the proper settings. its also hard to take pictures through glass and dark subjects with a bright background

Also, poindexter has a good point. judging from your pics, your composure could use some work. learn how to frame the subject and use light to your advantage.

Just take alot of pictures and then you'll eventually figure out what you are doing right and or wrong, just keep asking for advice. it's not about getting it right the first time, but learning so that your shots get better and better, and when the opportunity comes up you can take that amazing shot without thinking too much about it.

Also many of the shots you see online are post processed, so dont be discouraged by pics like the one above. PS takes practice as well though, so don't be afraid to get into that if you haven't already

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Most of the pictures in that album were just random pictures. I just put the link up so you guys can see the dull and mild colored pictures that I'm taking. Some I took driving with my left hand on the wheel. I actually found in the menu, options to increase the sharpness, contrast and color saturation today so it should give me what I'm looking for. When I have my settings down, I'm definitely going to work on my composition; I agree that it plays a big part in defining a good picture. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to operate the mechanisms.

First, your subjects are very dark. from a beginner's perspective it's much harder to gauge the proper settings. its also hard to take pictures through glass and dark subjects with a bright background
Will a circular polarizer eliminate the glare on the glass?

Lastly, I have a couple more questions, bear in mind that I'm also an amateur with PS.

1) How do you do this? Multiple layers? I would google it, but I don't know what this is called.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jdmkevin/Misce...187742555239986

2) Is there an easier way of adding a border to your pictures other than the canvas option?

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shinji,May 21 2007, 05:18 PM
Will a circular polarizer eliminate the glare on the glass?
not completely eliminate it but it does help reduce and minimize the glare, depending on the curvature of the glass. Here's two shots I took this evening, the first one has a CP on the lens, the second shot has the CP removed since it was getting dark.
1) CP installed

2) No CP

On the second shot, you can't see the seats through the front window but if the CP was on the lens, it'd cut through and make them visible. You can also tell a slight difference in the color saturation with the CP installed.

Google "selective coloring" and you'll find what you're looking for.