Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Best Camera Prices.com

Old 05-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Camera Prices.com

Has anyone ever bought from this site before? I want to get a d80, and 299$ for the body is pretty cheap. I tried calling to see if it comes with a battery and sd card, but they were closed.

Can anyone vouch?
Any other suggestions to where a good place to order a d80 would be?

bestpricecameras.com
Old 05-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their overall rating from resellerratings.com is..

*drumroll*

0.32 out of 10!

And the lesson of the day: if it seems too good to be true, it is.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liebernoodle,May 6 2007, 02:32 PM
Their overall rating from resellerratings.com is..

*drumroll*

0.32 out of 10!

And the lesson of the day: if it seems too good to be true, it is.
good to know, thats why I was very skeptical.

Any thoughts/suggestions of where to purchase a new d80 body? Most places I come buy all have the same price area, its not a night and day difference in price.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:11 PM

If you are looking at reputable dealers prices shouldn't be much more than 20 bucks apart. The good dealers are all in the business of making money but doing it legitimately, so they sell them for what they are worth rather than undercutting everyone else by 50% then nickel and diming you with everything else until you've paid 200% of the original price. Almost everyone here has ordered and been very happy with b&h (http://bhphotovideo.com) they have good prices, good selection, fast shipping, they're helpful, etc. There's a few others that have a similar reputation, but I personally don't have any experience with them. I'm on the lower end here, but in the last 5 years I've probably given b&h around $7k, and have had absolutely no problems.

Some of the others guys here have spent that in a day, and if I'm not mistaken they've had the same results.

The other option is to wait for deals and use coupons at dell.com, if you time it right you can usually get a hundred bucks or so off.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Frank,

When I was shopping around, I also saw this and several other intruiging shops come back on my online camera searchs. While investigating, I came across this link:

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/ (I hold no allegiance to the person/site, nor do I know that this site is any more legitimate than the actual sellers, but the evidence is compelling.)

If you're interested in doing some looking/feeling before buying, there is New York Camera and Video on Street Rd in Southhampton. I believe their prices are comparable, and gives you a local retailer to work with.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

I only buy local because I'm impulsive and because my local shop has some great people who are willing to help me with whatever I ask.

That said... isn't B&H the standard for mail order?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM

+1 for B&H.

I think Dell does not sell Nikon cameras unfortunately, so waiting for a coupon from them is not an option. That is of course unless things have changed.