Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Best Camera Under $400

Old 07-20-2010, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...-to-george.html

This is a really good read, pretty funny as well. The person asked the same question budget of 400$ what camera to get.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We got a D3000 with the kit lens for something between $390 and $400 several months ago. We used bing cashback, got it for $460 on tigerdirect, and had $65 or so sent to us a month or two later. For the money we're very happy with it, as I was also considering it against similarly priced P&S cameras.

It looks like they can do the same setup under $450--and you do need an SD card too if you don't have one--but I couldn't find it new for under $400 today.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by rudyr,Jul 19 2010, 07:45 PM
Either a Canon S90, G11 or a Panasonic LX3. All allow you to shoot RAW, which will give you a tremendous amount of flexibility in post-processing. All three have 'large' sensors, 'low' pixel counts, and 'fast' lenses relative to other compacts so you'll get a bit better low light performance and some minute amount of DOF control.

The Panasonic, in my opinion (and I own an S90, so not biased), will be more interesting because it has the widest lens and for the type of shooting you described I think that'll be more useful and creative than a ton of zoom. Also, subjectively, if it's for a gift I think the physical look and feel of the LX3 is excellent; good balance of compact size but something tangible to use.

$380 shipped for the silver, even cheaper if you don't mind black. You'll be hard pressed to find a definitely better camera, new in box, than this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CCNDK...VZYJEPFC70FWTB4
I second the Panasonic approach. If you're not a brand whore, I would go with them for a point-and-shoot. I have an FX3 and it takes beautiful pictures. I would suggest narrowing down your search to two or three specific models, then going on Flickr.com and looking at the pictures people have taken with the camera. Reviews are also helpful, but a picture says . . . .
Old 07-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by imlou,Jul 20 2010, 09:11 AM
http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...-to-george.html

This is a really good read, pretty funny as well. The person asked the same question budget of 400$ what camera to get.
That was very amusing . . . I found an odd correlation to my car hobby as well. And my jet ski hobby. And my girlfriend hobby. And . . . .
Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 AM

I recently purchased a Nikon S8000 point and shoot camera. My criteria were: 10X zoom, fast shot to shot times, a burst mode, easy to use, fits in a pocket, uses SD memory. So far I am very happy with it. I got it for $280.00. I really like the pictures that it takes. I am by no means an expert photographer, but it totally suits my needs for pictures of family and friends, and of my S2000.

I also considered the Panasonic Lumix ZS5 which has a little more zoom, but the Nikon had a slightly larger screen and I liked the feel of it better.

I would also suggest that you go to a store and handle them. See how they feel in your hands, and wheter or not the menus seem easy to navigate.

Both of these are under your budget of $400, but would allow a little wiggle room for a new case or a memory card, or an extra battery.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 AM

agree on the Canon S90, G11 or a Panasonic LX3 if you want something pro.

for girls, i say something that's small, or thin.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by vtec ftw,Jul 23 2010, 06:42 AM
I recently purchased a Nikon S8000 point and shoot camera. My criteria were: 10X zoom, fast shot to shot times, a burst mode, easy to use, fits in a pocket, uses SD memory. So far I am very happy with it. I got it for $280.00. I really like the pictures that it takes. I am by no means an expert photographer, but it totally suits my needs for pictures of family and friends, and of my S2000.

I also considered the Panasonic Lumix ZS5 which has a little more zoom, but the Nikon had a slightly larger screen and I liked the feel of it better.

I would also suggest that you go to a store and handle them. See how they feel in your hands, and wheter or not the menus seem easy to navigate.

Both of these are under your budget of $400, but would allow a little wiggle room for a new case or a memory card, or an extra battery.

I hope this helps.
Thanks. I ended up doing exactly what you said, and my wife and I went to the camera store and looked around and asked the guy what he recommended. He showed us the camera you got and a few others, but for our needs, we ended up going with the Fujifilm EXR F80.... i think I remembered that correctly.

The guy told us it's as easy to use as anythign else, but apparently Fuji's NEVER break. 10x zoom, all kinds of color effects, timer, HD video.

It also had a sweet feature where it would take 2 pictures back to back, one with flash and one without so you could pick which one you like best. So far, we are both very happy with it. Easy menu pages, intuitive buttons.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by stauren1203,Jul 26 2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks. I ended up doing exactly what you said, and my wife and I went to the camera store and looked around and asked the guy what he recommended. He showed us the camera you got and a few others, but for our needs, we ended up going with the Fujifilm EXR F80.... i think I remembered that correctly.

The guy told us it's as easy to use as anythign else, but apparently Fuji's NEVER break. 10x zoom, all kinds of color effects, timer, HD video.

It also had a sweet feature where it would take 2 pictures back to back, one with flash and one without so you could pick which one you like best. So far, we are both very happy with it. Easy menu pages, intuitive buttons.
I'm glad that you found one you liked. Now take lots of pictures!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refurb Sony alpha 200. I got mine for $280, so I know similar deals are floating around. I got my mom's rebel for ~$400 off of ebay brand new.
Oh NVM problem solved.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 AM

Canon G11 or Panasonic LX5, or wait till end of august for a possible new Nikon G11 killer...

Quick Reply: Best Camera Under $400