Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Camera Insurance Help

Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camera Insurance Help

Ok guys, I have enough equipment, and spent enough money, that I am uncomfortable walking around with my backpack uninsured. Do you guys have a good, reputable camera insurance company? It HAS to be an insurance company specifically for photographers. I don't want to insure it through GEICO or anything like that, because if the shit hits the fan, only camera insurance companies understand. So, any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Aug 2 2007, 02:52 PM
Ok guys, I have enough equipment, and spent enough money, that I am uncomfortable walking around with my backpack uninsured. Do you guys have a good, reputable camera insurance company? It HAS to be an insurance company specifically for photographers. I don't want to insure it through GEICO or anything like that, because if the shit hits the fan, only camera insurance companies understand. So, any suggestions?
allstate can insure you as a photographer or tom pickard ins.

http://www.groupinsure.com/
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Former Moderator

Cool...applied for a quote with them, and Hill Usher... lets see what the damage is. I need about 10K for equipment, and 1 million for liability. Hope it's about $1000 year.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Aug 2 2007, 02:10 PM
Cool...applied for a quote with them, and Hill Usher... lets see what the damage is. I need about 10K for equipment, and 1 million for liability. Hope it's about $1000 year.
Tell you what. You give me $1000 and I'll get you a policy, deal?

I pay less than $200/yr for my business policy which covers replacement cost of gear and $1MM liability as well as lost income due to accidents.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez Dave - it cost me an extra $60 for the year through my Allstate homeowner policy to get all of my equipment covered. When I get something new I just fax the receipt to my agent.

I have the same coverages as my house, which I think might be a million .....but anyway - it is nowhere near $1,000 a year.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Former Moderator

Really....???? I was told a 1mm policy runs about 1000 a year, even on the site jtpassat posted, they quote 500-700 for a basic package....

Alex...I really dont want to use a regular "insurance" companies, because I hear nightmare stories about equipment replacement. Since it's not what they do, they always have a problem paying for broken equipment, where as a camera insurance company KNOWS what that's like, etc.

ludikris, who do you use that costs you $200 a year?!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you need such a hefty policy for? jtpassat is starting a rental business, so I can understand why his is so much.

What is the difference between any insurance company - they're all in the same business of paying out as little as possible. If you keep a larger policy with them, they're more apt to respond to your demands
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Aug 2 2007, 04:38 PM
Really....???? I was told a 1mm policy runs about 1000 a year, even on the site jtpassat posted, they quote 500-700 for a basic package....

Alex...I really dont want to use a regular "insurance" companies, because I hear nightmare stories about equipment replacement. Since it's not what they do, they always have a problem paying for broken equipment, where as a camera insurance company KNOWS what that's like, etc.

That's general liability or an excess liability quote not photo
Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Aug 2 2007, 03:38 PM

I have a seperate business policy with State Farm, not a rider for my home policy since the business is a seperate entity.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Aug 2 2007, 03:38 PM

eh.. I politely disagree. No insurance company wants to pay out. Don't think because a certain company 'specializes' insuring a group of people that they will be any more willing than Brand X to fork over money during a loss.

I would make sure the people you are talking to purchased the right insurance in the first place. You are likely to hear people B&M over getting screwed regardless of who's side of the line the fault lies.

Quick Reply: Camera Insurance Help