Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

does a pic like this belong here

Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a pic like this belong here

OK, so the forum description says "S2000 related content should go in The Gallery". However, it seems to me that many of the S2000 pics in the Gallery are primarily about mods (wheels, bumpers, exhausts, and whatnot) and not really about photography.

But what about something like this ...

My car is bone stock (on purpose). I'm certainly not looking for someone to tell me to "drop it like it's hot". But, I would be interested in talking about what people think of the grid in the background vs. the curves of the car. Or whether the pic would have been better if the headlights were on. Or if there is enough detail in the tires. Or if I went too far with contrast and saturation. Stuff like that.

So, that's this forum, right? S2000 pic or not?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I think its art, so it can go here! Great composition of contrast and color - not too blown out. Headlight on will hide the detail of the assembly that I think is great to look at - I usually shoot with parking lights on though.

About the only t hing I'd change in hindsight is raising the camera an inch to hide the front-left wheel gap.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It definitely belongs here. The background is a nice choice, not distracting at all and the focus is still clearly the car.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UNC04SuzukaBlue,Sep 17 2006, 08:30 PM
But, I would be interested in talking about what people think of the grid in the background vs. the curves of the car. Or whether the pic would have been better if the headlights were on. Or if there is enough detail in the tires. Or if I went too far with contrast and saturation. Stuff like that.

So, that's this forum, right? S2000 pic or not?
From my point of view, yes this is the place for comments and questions such as those. I know we've got lots of guys in the UK forums who will come along and give their views on the composition too.

I like the tiled background, I think it works well against the colour, lines and polish of the car

I'm not that sure how you'd get more detail in the tyres actually. Any suggestions anyone?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RichUK,Sep 18 2006, 05:54 AM
I'm not that sure how you'd get more detail in the tyres actually. Any suggestions anyone?
I'd try the Photoshop - Shadows & Highlights tool.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

In PS - New layer - Soft light - use a white brush to pull out the detail.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 17 2006, 03:42 PM
I think its art, so it can go here! Great composition of contrast and color - not too blown out. Headlight on will hide the detail of the assembly that I think is great to look at - I usually shoot with parking lights on though.

About the only thing I'd change in hindsight is raising the camera an inch to hide the front-left wheel gap.
Thanks Saki.

That's a good point about hiding detail by having the headlights on. I hadn't thought of that.

Good eye on the front-left wheel gap. I considered photoshopping out the bright spot. I doubt anyone would notice and go "hey, there should be light coming through your front-left wheel." So, I'll probably go ahead and do that as that highlight is a bit distracting.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:38 PM

As for the shooting details and such ...

At the shoot:
- Very early morning, near dawn, and in the shade.
- Nikon D70 with 18-70mm kit lens at 62 mm.
- 1/50 sec at F/8, aperture priority, ISO 1600.
- Circular polarizer to help control reflections.
- Camera settings tweaked to increase contrast and saturation a bit.
- Auto white balance tweaked "minus 3" to warm things up a bit.
- Full tank of gas and heavy jack in the trunk so that the rear will sit down more. The jack also comes in handy for making the Honda "H" on the wheels upright.
- Parking lights and right turn signal on. Headlights off.

In photoshop:
- Reduce Noise (the D70 has quite a bit of noise at ISO 1600).
- Some (but not much) Lens Correction and Free Transform to get the horizontals and verticals in the background wall just right.
- Some cloning to fix up the reflections on the front bumper slightly and remove my state inspection sticker from the windshield (and I probably removed some specks from the concrete ... I don't remember).
- Then my standard routine of local contrast enhancement, levels/curves, and maybe pump up the saturation a bit more.
- Lastly, downsize to screen res, sharpen, and save for web. Oh, and add the border and such.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 PM

To me this is all about the light... and the light is right! I was going to ask if you used a pol filter (the windshield is nice here). I dig the perfect-to-brick frame. The rear-view mirror's angle looks odd but that must be our perspective. Normally I'd want to blur the background but this pure geometric works great as-is.

To me the tires are as light as you could go and still look natural.

How did you get that much light onto the wheels?

Very well done!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Former Moderator

Honestly this belongs more in the gallery... the Gallery is for automotive related photography too, not just people modding. This forum as my understanding is suppose to be non-car related. I really hate this gray line that has been drawn with these two forums.

Quick Reply: does a pic like this belong here