Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Fake Tilt Shift pics

Old 07-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like extreme experiments. I think they point the way toward using a technique for artistic purposes. I'm not a fan of this particular odd-focus plus highly saturated look. They remind me of over-used Lensbaby images but your blur is more synthetic to my eye.

But don't give up experimenting.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jul 5 2010, 05:52 PM
I like extreme experiments. I think they point the way toward using a technique for artistic purposes. I'm not a fan of this particular odd-focus plus highly saturated look. They remind me of over-used Lensbaby images but your blur is more synthetic to my eye.

But don't give up experimenting.
Interestingly enough, my whole idea was to make it look as synthetic as possible. The subject, the blur, the color.

I wanted it to look a little more like shallow DOF macro of fake objects than lensbaby-on-LSD-style, but I literally just started messing with it yesterday in photoshop and it's a fine line. I love taking Macro shots (maybe the most over-done and played out style of all?), so I'm trying to apply that look to other stuff.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Cleaned the thread up a bit. Sorry guys, big waste of time. I guess I wasn't ready to jump in with the big boys.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 PM

i got in on the tail end of those thread, but to simplify ...

you won't find love here from post processing, most (if not all) of the photography forum members are seasoned photogs or enthusiasts trying to better their photog skills with constructive criticism.

the best place to get a few pats-on-your-back would be the Gallery forum, otherwise the photogs here will rip u a new one if ur pictures don't follow the common rules of photog.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm not looking for pats on the back. I just wasn't expecting unexplained kicks to the front. I understand the "how-we-do-things" of this forum now, and I can dig it. I'll accept all forms of criticism, however obtuse.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Former Moderator

Guys, no need for the "it looks like sh!t comments."

We get it, it's not your cup of tea, mine either, but lets try and respect one another.

S2kupo, consider this your first and only warning.

Pure Evo, good on you for having thick skin.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a thread full of love here.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=758444
Old 07-06-2010, 04:26 AM

I like tilt-shift photography, and tilt-shift chops when done well, but neither apply here. Sorry man, faking TS is not quite that easy.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 AM

TS only really works when the shot is taken from a high angle like your first photo. the only problem with the fake TS is that it can be easily detected in your first picture is that the lens blur effect runs into part of the subject in focus.

A lot of TS photos simulate a tiny world as if a child were looking at a toy set. To really enhance this effect, you have to have something in the foreground to be blurred, and something in the distance to be blurred to make the subject in the center really pop.

It works for some pictures, and for many it does not. This is a picture I took in 2005 with a Casio Exilim. Fake TS worked well for this one.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Minus the flag fail. The flag is in the foreground and needs to be blurred as well. To pull this off the best, get a subject that is tall (think church) and carefully mask around it, that way the background around the tower is blurred when the subject is not.

Quick Reply: Fake Tilt Shift pics