Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

The iPhone Fashion Shoot

Old 07-13-2010, 03:49 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Really? You guys are ridiculous. This is why only a handful of people post in this forum any more.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Ok

Honestly the lighting in that set is not very good, and considering the amount of $ invested in the lighting the person could have, should have done a much better job. The color temps are all over the place. In addition the PP is not very good. Look at the first 2 shots notice the lack of any light on the models eyes? The eyes are the key to a great portrait and without any light in said eyes there is no chance of it being a great portrait. Continue on thru the shoot notice the placement of the lighting into the frame and the vast amount of resources to PP it out, poor technique all around. As far as the instrument to take the pics it did its job. And a decent job at that.

Were just discussing that what a forum is for. No one is slamming anyone. No one here said that the person taking those pictures sucks. Not one word has been uttered about the Iphone or its ability or inability to perform as a quality photographic instrument. The forum suffers from the "hey look at my great picture syndrome" As soon as any bit of critique not liked by any OP is received they go running with their tails between their legs in looking for another place where someone will them and they dis-appear. The other problem is few are willing to stand on two feet and offer the critiques and suggestions in that environment to help improve their fellow photographers abilities. Its not easy being the person that does that in a hostile environment but it is sorely needed if photography is to survive in its purest form "sure anyone can PP themselves into oblivion and run from forum to forum until they get that glowing review and on the back but the basics of all good photos is a good base photo" Without it regardless of the running and search for the you still have nothing. The challenge is to find a way to do it that maintains a harmonious flow of quality critiques. Honestly I think photography today is a dying art for a multitude of reasons. Mainly the thin skin syndrome. Back in the day when someone told you something or offered a skilled critique you appreciated the insight and applied the valued info and improved yourself and your technique nowadays its rarely like that. The few in this forum that have followed the listen and learn approach have greatly improved in their skills. Jonboy and Joeyballs come to mind. Also judging from the amount of PM"s I receive there are many that willing to learn and seek out advice as they are doing so. I could name many more with the opposite approach that whined and came in with attitude but we have all seen the threads.

We have also done something no other forum I know of has done a good job with and that's keep the "gear" arguments out.

Honestly this is a great forum with a super group of educated skilled photographers in it. It is also a car forum so a good amount of what is posted in here is "gallery" type post which are normally moved to the correct forum.

Enjoy and embrace the forum, its one of the best around. One that I am proud to admit that I have learned from even after 40+ years of shooting.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:49 AM

Color temps all over the place...
Have you used an iPhone? Does it have manual white balance? There were SOOC shots, and then the edited ones. Of course the SOOC shots will be all over the place and the edited ones were subject to the retoucher's direction.

Light in the models eyes is key to a good portrait...
Remember he's shooting with hot lights. This might have been a bit uncomfortable for her (akin to staring into the sun.) Also, this is not as much a portrait as it is fashion. Admittedly, I don't have formal training in the genre but I didn't think it was bad. The only image I hated was the over the shoulder view of her neck.

Lighting equipment left in frame...
Again, he's working with hot lights. They had to be very close to the subject. To get a full body shot there was no way around the light being in the frame. You can't always get a perfect shot in camera. Look at any pro before / after and sometimes you see a bit of a lighting stand etc in the shot. This is not uncommon at all. Besides, he knew he was sending the images off to someone else to deal with it.

As for the rest of the response... What I said had nothing to do with anyone taking criticism. Hell, I didn't shoot these. You aren't offending me. All I did was share a set of images taken with a frickin' phone that inspire me to get the speedlites back out this weekend and do more with what I have.

That's all it was meant to be and people are nitpicking about contrast and depth of field. It's laughable.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by e3opian,Jul 13 2010, 09:49 AM
Color temps all over the place...
Have you used an iPhone? Does it have manual white balance? There were SOOC shots, and then the edited ones. Of course the SOOC shots will be all over the place and the edited ones were subject to the retoucher's direction.

Light in the models eyes is key to a good portrait...
Remember he's shooting with hot lights. This might have been a bit uncomfortable for her (akin to staring into the sun.) Also, this is not as much a portrait as it is fashion. Admittedly, I don't have formal training in the genre but I didn't think it was bad. The only image I hated was the over the shoulder view of her neck.

Lighting equipment left in frame...
Again, he's working with hot lights. They had to be very close to the subject. To get a full body shot there was no way around the light being in the frame. You can't always get a perfect shot in camera. Look at any pro before / after and sometimes you see a bit of a lighting stand etc in the shot. This is not uncommon at all. Besides, he knew he was sending the images off to someone else to deal with it.

As for the rest of the response... What I said had nothing to do with anyone taking criticism. Hell, I didn't shoot these. You aren't offending me. All I did was share a set of images taken with a frickin' phone that inspire me to get the speedlites back out this weekend and do more with what I have.

That's all it was meant to be and people are nitpicking about contrast and depth of field. It's laughable.
I own an Iphone so YES I expect consistency in color temp in processed photos, color temps are easy to PP much easier than PP all the lights out

As far as hot lights I own them along with 2 types of strobes, portable and studio and of course on and off camera flash. So one can get the shot using hot lights in a different manner. Thats my personal professional opinion others may vary.

You posed the question why does anyone not post in here, the rest of my response was my opinion on the answer.

I'm glad that you are inspired to get shooting this weekend that's great! I do admit inspiration sometimes does not come easily.

You have to realize if something is posted in a photography forum it will usually be discussed and possibly nitpicked that's just the normal flow of a photo forum. However I do understand your comments on some being laughable. Perhaps if you mentioned your reason for posting the OP the comments regarding it would come in differently. As someone who sees your post in its original context without your later comments and this being a photo forum I and as I can see others have the same inclination in posting as we did.

Seriously happy shooting this weekend enjoy and if you would like post up some results with your thoughts on how it went.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want nitpicking? You should see what various forums had to say about the Annie Leibovitz shot of Obama's family in the White House. Amazing how critical some folks can be for something that had all of 5 minutes with the subject.

Golden Internet Rule: never critique unless it is specifically requested.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:17 PM

I missed that one, Steve. Did she shoot it with an iPhone?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might was well have. It did look like it wasn't any better than if it had been shot on a point-and-shoot, but there I go critiquing again.