Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Lens advice needed

Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lens advice needed

I hesitate to ask since this kind of question tends to have no exact answer and tends to dumb down a nice forum......but I'll throw it out there anyway in hopes of a few responses.

I did read the lens review sticky.

Background - I have a Canon XTI with what is widely regarded as one of the poorer kit lenses, the EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6. I also have the inexpensive 50mm 1.8. I bought the camera a few years back and really want to become much more proficient in using it.

I borrowed a friend's EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS lens to take on a trip to Seattle just to try out a zoom lens. It's a very inexpensive lens and certainly not a walk-around lens but under the right conditions the IQ blew away anything I have done with the kit lens. Even to my untrained eye there's some loss of sharpness at max zoom but most anything in between was so much sharper and I swear more vibrant than the kit lens.

I can see where it would be great to have a lens with more reach as my daughter is getting older and soccer games, t-ball, etc make it tough to get close enough to the action without alot of cropping.

Question - Finally!
I have a budget of about $400-500. I know thats about half of what I should spend for a higher quality lens but I just can't spend $1k on a lens. My options seems to be:

1. Get the 55-250 I tried along with Canon's new and supposedly VERY MUCH improved 18-55 IS lens. I'd have a wide coverage range and the 2 lenses would be within my budget. I believe this has been used more recently as a kit lens combo too.

2. Go with Canon's EF 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM which runs around that price. Would give me alot more reach than the single lens but I don't have enough experience to calibrate whether this is not wide enough. Would this be a good "walk-around" lens or would you constantly be looking for room to "back up" indoors or in crowded places?

3. Canon makes a 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 IS lens which would seem to give a 1 lens solution but reviews I've read are not conclusive as to whether this is better than a 2 lens solution - also closer to $600.

4. Canon 17-85mm 4-5.6 IS lens, give up alot of zoom for a single lens solution but is much wider (probably more important in day to day use).

There are good choices from Tamron (24-75), etc. Any guidance would be appreciated, knowing that there is not just 1 clear answer.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start out with the Tamron 17-50 2.8. You can find them used for $350-400. Your wide angle zoom lens will get most of the usage for daily stuff. You don't get the reach like the other lenses, but overall it's a much sharper lens that has a constant max aperture. (the other lenses are soft due to design and optics; you can't have a lens that has that type of range and have it remain sharp at both the wide angle and longer focal length).

When you have money, but the Canon 70-200 4.0L non IS. I don't know what the current market price is, but I'm guessing $550.

A hotshoe flash would also be something on your wishlist. You can find a used 430EX for about $200. This will drastically help your indoor shots (being able to bounce the flash).
Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Those are 2 nice suggestions. But do get the tamron to start the 2.8 will help you in a lot of situations. One thing to remember on a crop body 18mm is barely wide enough and 24mm is not very good for small rooms. As far as zoom the 70-200mm F4l is a perfect L lens choice for someone on a budget.