Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Looking for opinions/advice

Old 08-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Looking for opinions/advice

Hey, I have always enjoyed taking photos, but am new at the enhancement and editing of my photos. Found this free program called Photoscape, and started editing my photos. Please give me some feedback on what you think, what could be improved, and any other thoughts or opinions you may have. Thanks.

I did notice that my frames are different from picture to picture. Working on finding the one I like.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Photoscape is good for a free program but eventually you will want more than it offers. What are your goals? What do you like and dislike about the photos you posted? what do you think you can improve. Give us some answers and we can help you better.

BTW your photos above are solid. The one with the trunk badge and the antenna what is the focal point whats the story your trying to tell with the shot?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:27 PM

I can already see myself wanting more from a program.

I am trying to find a good solid tripod, that does not cost a fortune to improve my shots. Those were all done without a tripod. Overall I am trying to give my photos a professional look. Meaning the actual shots, using proper techniques in lighting and angles. I also want to be able to touch them up a hair for a more rounded look. I dislike these photos because I had to change them a lot with photoscape, which I must say, I am pleased with the shots after the editing. I increased the contrast, sharpness, auto level, and some times changed the depth of the colors.

After looking at the last shot, I realized it was kind of vague. It was supposed to be a shot of the newly installed key hole cover. I do not believe there was enough emphasis or focus on that.

I hope that this is a start to critiquing my own work. When I look at the gallery, there are so many great photographers on this board. I want to bring myself up a couple levels, and make my shots stand out, and have a wow factor. Like I said, I have been into photography for a really long time, but never really focused on techniques until recently.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your off to a good start. Dont spend a fortune on a tripod you ca get some real nice ones for $100 or so.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM

I was looking at a couple for around $40 at best buy, but they seem a little shaky. Any recommendations?
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THey look a little dark on my calibrated monitor...and that fake blur is messing with my mind!!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:34 PM

I think I may have gone a little dark. I was messing with some ISO settings, and when I edited them, I may have gone a bit dark, even though it was getting dark rather quickly outside.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Added a few more photos. I welcome any advice. Specifically looking for ways to improve the shot and editing.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing pics need to tell a story (hell, any photo does)

The last 4, there's no story. It's Sebring, it's full of history. The track might be flat and boring, but it's a 12 hour race which means at some point there's an absolutely gorgeous sunset for you to use.

Use it.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:17 PM

Thanks for your insight. I hear what you are saying. I did however post these pics because I thought they were good shots of the car, and that is it. I have plenty of pics of the bridges, sunset, pits, and the crazy fans, so that when I flip through my pics, there is a bit of a story there.

I think I will take your advice and try to add a little bit of story to my photo's.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions/advice