Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Need a decent but cheap camera.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a decent but cheap camera.

Hey guys,

Im trying to get into the art of photography and honestly, I dont even know where to start. I need you guys to help me out. I've only been experienced with point and shoot cameras. Currently I have a sh*tty Canon SD400 and I cannot seem to get the nice glossy pictures like some of the people have. Here's what I will be using the camera for:

-Pictures of family and friends when we go out. Could be at a restaurant or at a picnic.

-I would love to take shots of my car as well, both night and day shots. This is probably what I will be taking photos of most.

-I will probably not take any moving shots unless its of the city where there are cars moving. I would take occasional scenery shots just to be artistic.

-I also love macro photography so I would need something that can handle close-ups.

-i will not be printing out large photos so I dont need anything too crazy that's over $1000.

Even another simple point and shoot camera that is decent will do or any cheap slr (if those exist). I dont like the sd400 because the pictures never turn out the way I like it no matter how much I play with the settings. The pictures also seem so grainy most of the time. Any suggestions? I honestly dont even know where to start. Preferably, something around the $500 range. I know the real good cameras are well over $1000 but Im not trying to make photography a career. Just a hobby that I would like to pick up.

I've looked at the Rebel XTI and that seems like it's a good camera with room for growth. However, it's a little higher than my budget right now. Should I just save up and get it when I have the money? Help me PLEASE
Old 05-11-2007, 05:05 PM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SD400 isnt a horrible camera. Have you explored the manual options of the camera? Also, do you have photoshop or an equivalent editing application?

Perhaps a XT is more in your price range - 350D or the older 300D.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 PM

honestly, i've been trying to tweak with the SD400 and i can never get anything but macro shots to look decent. and yea i have Photoshop.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Once you buy an SLR, you are diving into a huge money pit. You may not want to go there.

For what your needs are, I would suggest a high-end fixed-lens camera. I'm thinking about the Canon S line and the Sony H line. They have big zooms, lots of manual controls, and can make some really great photos.

I'm sure NFR can chime in with some sample photos from a Sony H camera if you would like.

You can get the Canon S5 IS for $499, and the Sony H9 for about $480 (just quick price checks on amazon)
Old 05-11-2007, 10:55 PM

thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:59 PM

try the pentax A30 or A20. very nice cameras. I have the A20 and love it! Can't beat 10MP with image stabilizer and very good image quality for $220!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....IMHO, and Im not a pro, but just like you....more or less a hobbyist...

If you want to learn photography, and dont want to spend a lot of money, you cant go wrong with either a Panasonic DMC-FZ50

or a Sony DSC-H9.

Both can be had for around mid $400s. Both cameras have VERY good selling points, and neither of them share them...

The Panasonic

Shoots raw
Manual SLR style focus system

The Sony
IR Photography
Add on lenses (macro as well)

The choice is yours.

Since noodle brought up samples....here are some....

This is the Sony DSC H5 (not as good as the H9) and shot WITHOUT a macro lens...

With a macro lens...

No add on lens...

Macro lens...

Telephoto lens...shot was pretty sharp, but the angle was terrible....these guys dont sit around too long, so I had to hurry up

Wide angle add on lens...

Long shutter with no add on lenses.....

This camera has been a really good trainer for me. The large screen allows you to see clearly if the shot is in focus, as well as a nice peaking system, which highlights the areas that will be captured sharply. Full manual control is also nice for training. I have not personally used the panasonic, but the reviews are good, and Panasonic builds high quality gear. Hope this helped a bit.....
Old 05-12-2007, 03:28 AM

one tip: you ALWAYS need more light than you think you do.

Do you want a camera that takes better pictures, or would you like to learn how to take better pictures with whatever camera you might have?

One problem with digital P&S cameras is the lenses typically are crap, and the sensors are so small they can't possibly capture an image that will compare to any DSLR or 35mm film camera. Your pictures aren't going to magically get better with another digital P&S.

Given your practical restraints, the way I see it is you have two choices - a digital P&S type, or a film camera. Great used film cameras are cheap and plentiful, and used lenses for SLR's are typically very economical. There are many different films out there, so you don't have to buy a whole new camera every time you are disatisfied with the way colors look.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by GT_2003,May 12 2007, 06:28 AM
One problem with digital P&S cameras is the lenses typically are crap, and the sensors are so small they can't possibly capture an image that will compare to any DSLR or 35mm film camera. Your pictures aren't going to magically get better with another digital P&S.
I have to disagree with this, and point to the post right above yours as my proof.

Those high end P&S such as the Sony H cameras can create photos that compare to DSLR images. They don't provide as much flexibility in terms of lenses and accessories, but for a limited budget, they are excellent.

His photos won't get magically better with any new camera - film or otherwise - but I think he can learn a lot about photography with a high end P&S without breaking the bank.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:59 AM

you are talking about fixed lens SLR/EVF cameras, I am talking about P&S viewfinder cameras. Two different kinds of cameras.

FWIW, the Ricoh GR Digital has a number of fans. It's a fixed lens P&S with manual options, but the lack of a built-in viewfinder isn't ideal, although there are any number of options for a hot shoe mounted finder. For a camera that is less than perfect, it delivers in the images, from all I've seen. The price is in the range of the XT/XTi, but you don't need to buy a separate lens, so it might win out for someone who has no desire for an SLR.

Quick Reply: Need a decent but cheap camera.