Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

need opinion prime lens on d3100

Old 12-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need opinion prime lens on d3100

So i have a nikon d3100. Im planning on buying a 50 1.8 prime lens. Thing is should i get the newer autofocus 1.8g or the older 1.8d. Not sure wich to get or wich one will suit my needs. Also i am thinking of getting a upgraded flash. Will i really need a flash with this lens. Or is the 1.8 low enough were i wont need flash. Mostly will use the lens for potraits and cars. Hope you guys can help a bit. Trying to purchase lens by end if this month. Thanks in advance
-eric
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Eric,

Most feel like the G is slightly better than the D, but really, you're splitting hairs, either will work fine at this price-point. It's always a good idea to have an external flash, as this gives you control of the power, use of a diffuser, and being higher, negates red-eye most of the time. No need for a big one though, my SB600 has worked perfectly for everything (but I don't use it on automotive). You're probably going to be using your f2 or f2.2 at the shallowest, for sharpness, and decent dof, and this won't guarantee that you won't need to use some iso or fill-flash to get what you want, so it's a good idea to get the flash (for portraits).

-Andrew
Old 12-24-2012, 02:19 PM

thanks man!

i was thinking of getting the older 50mm and have some money for a flash.
i borrowed a speedlight from a friend, company is called yongnuo 465II anyone here have any input on the flash??
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the 50mm 1.4 G on my d40x for portraits. Expensive, but AWESOME. I think the length is a bit long for cars, though.