Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Newbee

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbee

How's is it going guys and ladies? I am new to the whole photography stuff and especially auto photograph. I was wondering what are some tips and tricks for a beginner like myself. I want to able to take some awesome shots as some that are posted in here. Thanks for your help!!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 AM

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,618 Posts

What camera are you using? Take a class at a camera shop to learn how to use your camera on something other than automatic modes, so you can get a little creative. There are many online tutorials, and of course books to guide you.

Keep things simple as you learn. Pay attention to composition, and distractions in the photo.

People with various skill levels post here. I consider myself an amateur, amateur. There is MUCH to learn. Keep
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by S2ki_d
How's is it going guys and ladies? I am new to the whole photography stuff and especially auto photograph. I was wondering what are some tips and tricks for a beginner like myself. I want to able to take some awesome shots as some that are posted in here. Thanks for your help!!
Take a lot of photos, learn from your mistakes. Experiment with different techniques, compositions, editing. You'll find your niche

What camera are you using?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I am also a newbie to all this and was sent this site and I have been trying to read as much as I can.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

There is a ton of info and its overwhelming but I think I am slowly getting it.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks for your input. I am using a rebel t1i which I bought from my dad. I will definitely check out some books on it and check some stuff online. What is a good editing program that I could use for a good price? and also what do y'all think about this camera?
Old 11-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Site Moderator

I am using GIMP as my work laptop would let me download and install it. Photoscape is another that was suggested but my firewall won't let me me download it. Both are free and more than enough to learn on.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by S2ki_d
Thanks for your input. I am using a rebel t1i which I bought from my dad. I will definitely check out some books on it and check some stuff online. What is a good editing program that I could use for a good price? and also what do y'all think about this camera?
T1i is a good camera. My friend still uses that camera and produces superb images, the lens also plays a part too.

I'd use Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe Photoshop. People just torrent programs nowadays..
Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I am also a newbie to all this and was sent this site and I have been trying to read as much as I can.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

There is a ton of info and its overwhelming but I think I am slowly getting it.
This kenrockwell guy is stupid. Do not listen to what he says.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Site Moderator

Wow ok care to actually elaborate on that?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Wow ok care to actually elaborate on that?
His site is extremely popular because (1) he writes about everything and (2) he writes with an authoritative tone.

Which really impresses the beginners who can (1) find information on anything and (2) need declarative judgement ("this is good! this is bad!")...for lack of personal experience and context.

That in itself is not necessarily bad. IF it weren't for his opinions being vastly hyperbolic and often contradictory.
He shouts for attention to shill page-clicks and affiliate-revenue. The ugly site design and huge bold text attracts the low-hanging fruits. He's a pure huckster.

And what matters the most simply is that he's an utter shite photographer.

Can't leave you hanging without alternatives - so check out someone like www.mingthein.com who offers rational thoughts on the nature, process, and mechanics of photography. You know, like *real* content.

Some key tips for photos:
-understand the key exposure parameters: Aperture vs Shutter vs Sensitivity/IS
-exploit focal length, along with above, as a creative tool; zoom button is not for "zoom".
-EVERYTHING has to do with (the quality of) LIGHT.
-read up on compositional guidelines so you can PRE-VISUALIZE your shots. WHY are you taking this photo? (simple snapshots hold interest for noone but yourself)
-taking the pic is only 60% of the equation. even a $5000 camera system needs a solid processing step -- i.e. photoshop or lightroom or aperture -- to "finish" the image.