Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Nikon CHA Error

Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Nikon CHA Error

Has anyone experienced this before? I purchased a Lexar 16G CF card to use this weekend at Mid Ohio. I began shooting with it and the first 200 or so shots seemed to be going through fine.. (D200 w/70-200). I swapped lenses when I went to the pits prior to the Rolex race and then I couldn't press the shutter.. I looked and saw the CHA error. I took the battery out, swapped lenses, etc.. nothing.. When I got home, I looked at the inside and the pins look like they are fine.. (no bent pins).

I'm now unsure what my next steps are, and also, are the photos on the card salvagable? I tried to use a recovery program that did find the card but the content says 0. (I connected using my carmera directly to desktop). Should I try using a card reader?

Also, what do I do with the card? Format and use it again? Fortunately, it was not last weekend (I was shooting a wedding)... Just frustrating

Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I've seen in the past with CF errors posted and i think this info from another board sums it up pretty well. Hope this helps.

This is a common error message with many causes, kind of like a "check engine" light on a car. It tells you that there is a problem without telling you exactly what the problem is.

CHA error is a general "cannot write to card" error and can be caused by many different situations including:

1) CF card fault/failure
2) CF card fragmentation
3) CF connection, camera contacts
4) Camera internal failure with card write circuit board
5) Power supply in camera, potentially also related to the battery.

To rule out the Compact Flash card(s) as the fault, try a brand new card, format in camera and do not field erase images. Reformat card in camera to start over. If this procedure works, format the older cards in the camera and then work the cards by taking images, preferably RAW to fill up the card as quickly as possible. Do not completely fill the card but stop at around 10 remaining images and format the card in camera once more. You might be good to go.

If these procedures don't work, it is recommended to return the camera to Nikon for a checkup. If Nikon cannot diagnose a problem, you might try a new battery as some claim a weak battery to be part of the problem, but I don't see that "cure" mentioned often enough to know if really is a cure or not.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to Lexar and I spoke to B&H. It's the card. B&H sent a return slip alrady so the card is off to B&H to be replaced.