Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Pictures i took for my friend

Old 10-29-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures i took for my friend

My friend got me to take some pictures of his restaurant that he is opening. I honestly don't know anything regarding taking interior pictures but decided to wing it. Honestly, i don't know much about photography except i like taking pictures.

I purchased a Canon 30D, deciding between that and the Nikon D200 and the Canon won out.

here are some of the pics. please let me know what i need to work on, what shots i should take, stuff like that.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some of them look pretty good.

I've found there is almost never enough light if you rely on ambient lighting or a single flash. For the food shots, I'd try to get a clip-on lamp if nothing else to eliminate shadows. A simple white box would work great - just get a white translucent storage bin, and set it up with one side cut out. Aim a fairly bright light at it, and it can evenly illiuminate the entire dish with no noticeable shadows.

I like this one a lot: http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/22...067409739HmCHfW
Old 10-30-2006, 08:11 AM

where is the restaurant?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Yummy!

My big suggestion is to work more on composition, framing the shot either in the viewfinder or by cropping later. Make every image a statement (some are fine now) and direct the viewer's eye with the combination of shape, color, and lighting. Make more balance or imbalance, whichever you are aiming at. Get your horizonal and vertical lines either exact or intentionally off.

I highly recommend "Picture This: Perception & Composition" written by Molly Bang. She uses very simple graphic examples to make her points.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 PM

great suggestions.
i like that one the best myself...

I think lighting will be my biggest challenge, since i do not have that white box to play with. i guess i can create something and get some lighting.

which angle should i concentrate more on, for the food? from the side? or top down?

the restaurant is going to be in the richmond, va area.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM

I think youve captured some interesting details, but not enough of the restaurant space (entrance, rows of tables)

just my .2
Old 10-31-2006, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by dkhl,Oct 30 2006, 01:10 PM
the restaurant is going to be in the richmond, va area.
Post up.
My brother and his wife live in Richmond. I'll send them and their friends there...some business for your friend